High Oil Pressure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bronco Buster

i just did an oil change and filter change on my 68 PA31 with Lycoming TIO540C engines. When I did a run up with the cowlings off to check for leaks the left engine oil pressure was normal, but right was in the yellow at idle and when I increased throttle it would go into red. Oil was at about 60F when I put it in. I let the engine run for4-5 minutes and recycled the prop several times and pressure did come down somewhat, but it was still higher than normal. Any ideas? My mechanic and I are stumped. Thanks in advance.

Vince Collazo
[email protected]

Was everything normal prior to the oil change? Had you flown the aircraft just prior to the oil change? What were the indications then? Did you change oil brand/viscosity? Were the filters replaced with the same part number (some have internal pressure relief valves). Have you tried swapping gauges yet to see if the problem follows the gauge and not the engine?

Sounds like a fun one to troubleshoot even though you are probably going out of your mind.

Did you ensure that the black rubber seal on the filter came away with the filter when you did the oil change? I've seen them get stuck in the engine and block the oil flow, resulting in high oil pressure and a damaged engine.

Thanks for advice

Guys thanks for the suggestions. The engine was reading normal pressure before the oil change. The new filters were same part number but different manufacturer. Oil was Phillips 20-50W same as before.
Avbug, I took your advice and got the old filters out of the garbage and they both had their gaskets attached. As a result of all this I decided that it couldn't be much of a problem and that perhaps the pressure release valve might be sticking a bit. Restarted the engine and let it run for 7-8 minutes and recycled the prop a couple of times and the pressure finally went down even at medium power settings. I then went out on the runway applied full power and did a high speed taxi (110mph) and oil pressure remained middle of the green so problem seems to have resolved itself, and I'll fly the plane tomorrow. Once again, thanks to both of you. Your advice is much appreciated.

Change the oil filter on the right engine. The filter may have become clogged and is now just being bypassed. If you changed from Champion to Kelly Aerosuck, change back. Kelly's filters are horrible, IMO. The 2 bucks you are saving is not worth it.

There is a reason for this to have happened in the first place.

Latest resources

Back