High cholestorol, hdl, and triglycerides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ditka

My blood tests have had higher than normal levels of cholesterol and hdl vs. ldl. My triglycerides are about 2-3 times the normal level. I have always watched my diet and I do a fair amount of jogging on my treadmill. I am thinking that statins may be the only way to control these parameters. What is the FAA process for a 1st class medical? Do I have to get permission from Oklahoma City first or can I start taking with a prescription then report? Thanks

My blood tests have had higher than normal levels of cholesterol and hdl vs. ldl. My triglycerides are about 2-3 times the normal level. I have always watched my diet and I do a fair amount of jogging on my treadmill. I am thinking that statins may be the only way to control these parameters. What is the FAA process for a 1st class medical? Do I have to get permission from Oklahoma City first or can I start taking with a prescription then report? Thanks
I take them and still maintain a 1st class. I just list them as a prescription drug I am taking, no other action. Any doubts talk to your AME.

Join the club. We're millions strong and growing. Start your regimen and simply list it on your next 8500.

I'm on the statin and loving it. No, you don't have to get clearance from your AME before you start taking them and yes, you'll simply list them on your next MedXpress.

You mentioned that you have a high HDL to LDL ratio. That's actually a VERY good thing! The HDL ("good cholesterol") helps remove some of the LDL, ("bad cholesterol"). You WANT an HDL level above 55!

Two more tips:
(1) if you start taking a statin: take it at bed time. Why? Because most of the LDL in your body is manufactured BY your liver,.....WHILE YOU SLEEP!!! And
(2) try to limit your intake of SATURATED FATS,.....because your liver converts the saturate fats into LDL.

Have you thought about changing your diet rather than going on blood thinners for the rest of your life?

Have you thought about changing your diet rather than going on blood thinners for the rest of your life?
Don't think Statins fit into the blood thinner category, for a lot of us this is hertitary and all the exercise and diet regime in the world will not completely fix it.

Thanks for all of the comments. They help a lot. I should have wrote higher Ldl vs Hdl. It is probably more hereditary in my case. I am 44 years old and I guess my metabolism is changing. I have always watched what I eat and exercise regularly. I will talk to my PCP about a prescription. If there are no weird side effects, then it sounds like the best route. Thanks for the help.

Don't think Statins fit into the blood thinner category, for a lot of us this is hertitary and all the exercise and diet regime in the world will not completely fix it.

But wouldn't it be worth it to try to fix the problem with diet before going the drug route? How do you know if your problem is hereditary or diet based unless you try a different diet for 3 weeks and see if your markers improve or not?

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/plant-based-diet-for-heart-health

But wouldn't it be worth it to try to fix the problem with diet before going the drug route? How do you know if your problem is hereditary or diet based unless you try a different diet for 3 weeks and see if your markers improve or not?

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/plant-based-diet-for-heart-health
Again you are making assumptions that this has not been done. It started with a low HDL, under 40. My total numbers were all in the good range, but the LDL/HDL ratio was out of range. I have been on an exercise regime since 1966. My diet is very close to the Med diet described in link. my BMI has never been above 25. My brother has the same problem.

Latest resources

Back