High Altitude Operations Books

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyChicaga

It is apparent many of us (I will include myself here) do not have extensive high-altitude experience when we started at the regionals. Therefore, unless our companies or schools taught us a lot about jet aircraft operation, we don't have much of a background of the subject. I know I have spent the past year reading up on high altitude aerodynamics, which has sadly cut into my golf game (well that and stolen clubs; I digress), but I'm feeling better about my understanding of what is going on with the airplane I fly.

The books I read were "Fly The Wing" by Jim Webb, and the ever-popular "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators." I also read through our Company Flight Manual extensively in relation to the dynamics of the specific aircraft I fly, but that isn't available to everyone. I think our company did a good job of explaining the basics of high-altitude flight. I just wanted more in-depth explanations.

In light of the Pinnacle CRJ crash, and mutliple threads about inexperienced regional jet pilots (in both seats, mind you), I figured it would be good to have a thread of resources that pilots, like myself, could use to gain more information on high-altitude flight for self study. So here are my contributions, including those already mentioned above:

Any other suggestions? Possibly for airline operations books period?

I hope this thread is useful.

“The Illustrated Guide To Aerodynamics” by H.C. “Skip” Smith.

This is a great sourcebook written by the director of undergraduate studies in aerospace engineering at Penn State.

I second the nomination for "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators." I sold mine after my general aerodynamics class in college and later re-bought it after realizing how foolish that was.
That book could have saved some lives. Maybe it will be trained and tested now.
Please read one of these books if you haven't yet and are flying a jet. Re-read it if you haven't in a while.

Fly the S.O.P and you won't have a problem....since I have my degree....................................GOLF is much more important.

Flight Physiology (altitude chamber) is also available.

http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/aam-400/phys_intro.htm

The problem is, you have to spend a day off, and About $50 bucks. No wonder the dollar driven airlines won't participate.

Nonetheless, if you can spare a day off and $50 clams, it is worth it...

What kind of college Areodynamics class uses "Aerodyanmics for Naval Aviators"?

I coould see it being used ERAU and such schools with "flight degrees", but not as part of a degree engineer course like Mechanical, Civil Aerospace ect.
That book is not an engineering text and should not be used as such. It is at best a "cookbook" method for aerospace applications.

FlyChicaga said:
It is apparent many of us (I will include myself here) do not have extensive high-altitude experience when we started at the regionals.

It's a little late to be LEARNING about high altitude ops once you are at a regional don't you think sport? Just another reason NOT to ride on ANY regional.

IHaveAPension said:
It's a little late to be LEARNING about high altitude ops once you are at a regional don't you think sport? Just another reason NOT to ride on ANY regional.

You are a serious jagoff.

The guy admits he was trained in this, he would like to learn more, and you throw it in his face and slam all regional pilots.

Can't wait until you screw up. Oh... that's right. I bet you are perfect.

Get bent.

IHaveAPension said:

Actually, I did have high-altitude jet training during college and plenty of self-study prior to getting a regional. Even did my high-altitude signoff in a B737-500 simulator. I think this is standard now in pretty much all college, and many non-college, training programs. I also had the opportunity to go to CAMI for the altitude chamber, but was unable at the time.

I just don't think it was all enough. What do they say, "always learning?" But obviously you know it all.

IHaveAPension said:

There's nothing more dangerous in aviation that an idiot like this who thinks he already knows it all.

Latest resources

Back