Hey Southwest- how come...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propsarebest

How come you guys NEVER take off or land on the 25's at LAX??? The airline that I work for has all of its gates on the south side of the field, but we are ALWAYS having to use the north complex. How do you guys get away with it?

I dunno... good question. The former carriers I worked for (who also parked on the south side) used both the north and south complex. Here at SWA, we almost always go from 24L. Why? Again, I dunno. If you happen to run into an LAX ATCT person, then that might be a good question to ask. On a side note, when I flew for ATA, we operated out of terminal 3 and always went off 24L too... maybe it's just got something to do with the way the SIDs are set up. I just go where I'm told... "Roger,taxi 24L."

Lot's of complementary KrispyKremes I would suspect, or they just got tired of hearing our constant requests for 24R.

Normally arrivals from the North land 24R and arrivals from the East land 25L. I have landed on 25L a number of times from the Paradise arrival, however, SOCAL will make an effort to put us on 24R if there is room.

As far as takeoffs, our gates are right at 24L, so location would appear to be the answer.

XR650R said:
Lot's of complementary KrispyKremes I would suspect, or they just got tired of hearing our constant requests for 24R.
AWA has a standing request (in writing) to land on the north side. Some days we're the windscreen, some days we're the bug.

TWA almost always got the North complex and occasionally got 24L, too. ATC knows what you want and it really helps to ask nicely.TC

P.S.--Hookers sent to the tower and approach late at night don't hurt, either... ;)

I think its easier for ATC.... everybody wins.

Then we don't have to run over anybody taxiing over from the south side to make DOT. But that is an entirely different thread.

IMHO it comes down to one person....SWA's ATC liaison....I won't reveal his name or initials but those inside the company know him....his incredible rapport & ability to work with all ATC agencies around the company & help them find solutions that work from one city to another is legendary. He will however, unabashedly claim his aiblity to make changes is due to the overall goodwill earned over the years by SWA pilots who have tried to help ATC whenever they could (I bet 2 posts before that is refuted by someone).

If he ever rides on your jumpseat, please take the time to thank him profusely & shake his hand. The efforts he has made in PHL to cut down on the delays, increase the arrival flows & design more effective taxi routes is slowly working....I was told the PHL delays have begun a steady decline (minus snow storms obviously)....he is another one of the secret weapons that SWA has but it isn't because he has some great technical skills....it comes down to his personality, work ethic (endless) & creativity in finding solutions...those traits are greatly revered by SWA & aren't a bad thing to highlight when you're choosing stories to tell about yourself (got the discussion back on to "interview"...since this is a place for interview information, right?)...cheers

AA717driver said:
ATC knows what you want and it really helps to ask nicely.TC

This is precisely why I DON'T ask. They do indeed know which runway you prefer so I never ask and it seems they appreciate not being pestered for what they already know you want.

Latest resources

Back