Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey Pals, is USAir BEGGING for a merger? Seems like it.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

UPDATE 1-US Air says well positioned if a merger arises

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43pm EDT

* Parker sees no near-term deals for US Air
* Sees upside for investors in current environment

WASHINGTON Oct 20 (Reuters) - US Airways Group does not perceive any merger opportunities in the near term, but said on Wednesday it was well positioned to participate in consolidation if the opportunity arises.
Chief Executive Doug Parker told analysts on a conference call that the airline's goal on consolidation was to run as a stand-alone company and be "in a position of extreme strength" with sustained profitability.
"I think there is enormous shareholder value to be created simply by continuing to do what we're doing," Parker said. "There is a lot of room for investors to participate in a lot of upside with the industry remaining at the current state of consolidation." Parker added US Airways would have to be involved if there were any mergers among the remaining four major U.S. carriers -- itself; Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp, and United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp.

"The other three cannot do anything without large antitrust problems," Parker said hours after his company reported its largest ever third-quarter profit of $240 million. "But any of the three can do something with us."

US Airways shares were up more than 8 percent following the quarterly results that credited a rebound in business travel demand, stronger revenue and the ability of airlines to capitalize on industry capacity cuts created partly by mergers.

Parker, who created the current US Airways through a 2005 merger involving his former airline, America West, has long been an advocate of industry consolidation.
US Airways held discussions with United before UAL decided to merge with Continental, a deal that just closed. (Reporting by John Crawley, editing by Maureen Bavdek)

It's like he is saying the above with a WINK....... Too bad he has chaos in the pilot ranks thanks to the Easties, and not as many synergies as he could have had with a good merger. Oh well.

Take it easy GREAT FRIENDS!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
We all know it's going to be American/US Air. American has to respond to Delta/Northwest and United/Continental.

UPDATE 1-US Air says well positioned if a merger arises

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43pm EDT

* Parker sees no near-term deals for US Air
* Sees upside for investors in current environment

WASHINGTON Oct 20 (Reuters) - US Airways Group does not perceive any merger opportunities in the near term, but said on Wednesday it was well positioned to participate in consolidation if the opportunity arises.
Chief Executive Doug Parker told analysts on a conference call that the airline's goal on consolidation was to run as a stand-alone company and be "in a position of extreme strength" with sustained profitability.
"I think there is enormous shareholder value to be created simply by continuing to do what we're doing," Parker said. "There is a lot of room for investors to participate in a lot of upside with the industry remaining at the current state of consolidation." Parker added US Airways would have to be involved if there were any mergers among the remaining four major U.S. carriers -- itself; Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp, and United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp.

"The other three cannot do anything without large antitrust problems," Parker said hours after his company reported its largest ever third-quarter profit of $240 million. "But any of the three can do something with us."

US Airways shares were up more than 8 percent following the quarterly results that credited a rebound in business travel demand, stronger revenue and the ability of airlines to capitalize on industry capacity cuts created partly by mergers.

Parker, who created the current US Airways through a 2005 merger involving his former airline, America West, has long been an advocate of industry consolidation.
US Airways held discussions with United before UAL decided to merge with Continental, a deal that just closed. (Reporting by John Crawley, editing by Maureen Bavdek)

It's like he is saying the above with a WINK....... Too bad he has chaos in the pilot ranks thanks to the Easties, and not as many synergies as he could have had with a good merger. Oh well.

Take it easy GREAT FRIENDS!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just be thankfull Doug was arrogant enough to pursue Delta. He could have easily beat you guys to Northwest with his bag o' cash.

USAir east still has value and will get picked off. East coast presence, Europe Carribean. Not so sure anyone needs PHX

USAir east still has value and will get picked off.
Like what happened in 2005? Possibly. Let's wait until it's within days of liquidation again and see which smaller yet solvent airline picks it off.

Funny how you love repeating USAPA's wet-dreams. You're the only FI non-Eastie poster who condones their nefarious actions. What's your motivation? Your grandfather work for them?

We all know it's going to be American/US Air. American has to respond to Delta/Northwest and United/Continental.
I don't see what US brings to AA that has value.Incompatible airbus fleet,phl maxed out,piedmont dash 100's near end of cycles,5 years of pilots labor strife,and a low yield phx hub.Clt has some value to bolster east coast,and dca slots would be helpful.

AA has global reach,one world alliance and a large widebody fleet at 120 and 124 757's.Being the 3rd largest airline is not a bad thing.They are starting to fill holes in their domestic route map and still taking deliveries of new aircraft.

Us has the smallest widebody fleet at 26 aircraft,with no more deliveries till around 2014.Stranger things have happened,but I do not see AA wanting US.

I don't see what US brings to AA that has value.Incompatible airbus fleet,phl maxed out,piedmont dash 100's near end of cycles,5 years of pilots labor strife,...
AA has had, what, some 20 years of labor strife. C'mon, there's gotta be some compatibility there. Whenever I hear my colleagues complaining about how bad things are over here I tell them at least we're not at AA. (and yes, I still have an AA seniority number)

They could always try to snag ALK and become more attractive to the bigger fish. Hopefully for ALK that doesn't happen.

Latest resources

Back