Hey Avbug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Peanut gallery

Just recieved a call from a friend that recieved a condition notice from his local FSDO, citing a few discrepancies they found on his plane. The question is can he just document and perform the required MX and fly or is there more to the process.

Thank's Peanut

The question is can he just document and perform the required MX and fly or is there more to the process.

That's basicly it.

I've done repairs on a few flight school planes that got tagged. Fix the problem, enter the work into the logbook, fill out the tag and fax copies of the paperwork to the FSDO.

It might help to call the inspector too, just to make sure you're covered.

What was broken?

Thanks

Basically the inspector did not like a repair on a stab and came up with a few more small items that would take a few different fasteners to bring into compliance.

Document, document, document and make copies.

Digital photos can be the saving grace every mechanic needs in situations like that.
If they are building a case against you, make sure you have a case built also.

You can't cover yourself enough. Photos, xerox, and when it's said and done, I wouldn't fly it until the inspector has the paperwork in hand and has been invited to inspect it. This isn't necessary, of course, but it can't hurt.

I had an inspector make writeups on an aircraft years ago, and a IA at the location he wrote up the airplane complied exactly with his directions. It turned into a year long battle in which the inspector ultimately lost...but what really got his goat was that he was quoted and cited and documented as having given the directions he did.

Simple repairs are...simple, but inspectors are not. Show him what he wants and move on.

I used to joke that I would sign off any repair for 5 million. 5 mill should take care of the family while I'm in prison for a few years. Everybody has a price, I'm just naming mine.

Till one day I was mapping out a crack that totaled a 727 and the customer rep jokingly offered to take me up on it.

Of course I'm only joking, my signature isn't for sale at ANY price.

I used to joke that I would sign off any repair for 5 million. 5 mill should take care of the family while I'm in prison for a few years. Everybody has a price, I'm just naming mine.

Till one day I was mapping out a crack that totaled a 727 and the customer rep jokingly offered to take me up on it.

Of course I'm only joking, my signature isn't for sale at ANY price.

I'll sign whatever you have for 5 mil as long as the jet isn't going to make a smoking hole in the ground. The feds can pull my ticket, for 5 mil, take the damn thing. Anyone who has worked long enough in this industry should know what can and cannot fly.

You guys really need to get away form the 172's and work a little 121.

I worked 121 for five years. Six months as a mech, 4 1/2 years as an RII inspector, and I wouldn't trust 25% of the airline mechs to work on my lawnmower, much less an airplane that I would let my family ride on.

Latest resources

Back