Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
potrack said:
I agree with Andy.

Think about quality of life too. I'd go Coast Guard, Air National Guard, AF Reserve, USMC Reserve, then Navy last.

Remember...Navy is boats first, airplanes last.....most of their airfields are not the nicest and 6 months at sea or stuck in Diego...ask the wife or girlfriend or children about that one. In the AF, they will cater to you more as a crew member, bad side is that deployments are up for everyone these days. In the Marines, they are a select-tight-knit group of aviators who kinda do their own thing and can kind of "Fly under the radar"
potrack-

I agree with most of you list. Having been in the Navy and on a few deployments, my wife and I (no kids yet) have been broken into their facilities and quality of life. I'd have to put Navy before USMC on the list you gave. While I like most of the Marines I've dealt with though the years, I'm not sure I'd fit into their ranks very well at all. But that's another post for another board.

Networking never stops: My wife and I just went to pick up another cat. As it turns out, the lady we picked it up from is an AF interior decorator. She works from the same building as the Col. in charge of recruiting for the AF reserves. Go figure. I'll be in contact with her again soon.

pilotyip said:
Each branch has there own test. Navy, USMC, use the AQT/FAR, Amry has some kind of test like ASFAVT?
Aren't you the guy that says a college degree is unnecessary?

"their" is the possessive pronoun you should have used.

The branch of the service that includes infantry is spelled "A-R-M-Y"

Come to think of it... I didn't learn that in college, after all. It was in Elementary School. :eek:

:)

Air Force Reserve - - you're in a perfect location, and they don't have enough applicants to fill the slots. Look for a Reserve recruiter - - don't be distracted by anything other than a RESERVE RECRUITER. You can't afford to waste your time with the others.

Applications

The Army's test is called the AFAST, or Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test. It deals solely with aviation- and helicopter-related subjects.

The USAF's AFOQT is a general officer candidate test, and includes a pilot and navigation subscore, but also general math/reading scores as well. I have no idea what's in the Navy/USMC or CG tests.

Whoever told you that you need a technical degree was just telling you something that isn't true. You don't need a tech degree to fly for the USAF. It might make a little bit of a difference if you had an engineering degree, but it's nothing to worry over.

All branches, last I checked, had an age 30 restriction. I believe the ADAF requires you to still be in training by an earlier date, but the Air Guard and Reserves have a little more flexibility on that. I had a Guard student in my UPT class who was 31. The Guard/Reserves tend to be more lenient on waivers, but again, don't count on anything...you need to get in gear now. The Army just has a rule that you need to start training before age 30.

Helicopters aren't a bad gig. And if you desire to later fly FW, there are inroads to get you into a fixed-wing cockpit later in your career. Let me say this though...it's easier to switch from RW to FW in the Navy/Marines than it is in the Army or CG. The latter two branches tend to be much more RW-centric. The first two (Navy/MC), it's fairly common to see a RW guy go to a FW job later in his/her career (usually flying C-12s, C-35s, C-20s, C-9s or C-40s).

My advice to you is to get packages in for each service. Be aggressive and proactive to make sure the recruiters aren't dragging their feet (as they often do regarding officer recruits). Don't let them talk you out of it, as some of them do as well...the Army recruiters are bad about that, trying to tell you that WOCS is nearly impossible to get into and trying to get you to enlist first. Tell them that you don't care how hard it is to apply, just get an application in.

I do also agree with the sentiment that your best shot will be with the USAFR. You're in a position to hand-carry your application packet and get face time with those who do the hiring. And if they need you bad enough, they'll help you through the wickets to get you under the age restriction, or waive it a bit to let you through the gate.

Good luck.

Today

I went to the AFR Headquarters today (did I mention that I am not shy?). I was told that the person in charge of recruiting officers was Chief Starky. I was also given a number in ALT to contact him with. I will persue talking to him and the ANG tomorrow. In my current location it looks like Navy, USMC, and CG work will have to be done over the phone and on trips to ATL.

My ace in the hole on the latter 3? I'm a member of the Robins Aeroclub and can land one of the T-41's (210hp 172) on Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta and walk to the appropriate Navy or USMC office in person. . . . . .with about 2 days of pulling extra hours at work to compensate for having to leave early for preflight, enroute time, and getting there while the offices are still open. I figure I can do it twice a week.

Time to get hot.

Hey bro, don't rule out the Navy just yet, since you have four years of active duty the age limit is waiverable up to 31. I too am prior enlisted and have a proaero degree from ERAU, went to OCS with guarantee flight slot and now am flying P-3's out in Hawaii. People will tell you the Air Force has it better but the Navy has way better duty stations in my opinion. Especially in P3's. We don't have bases in South Dakota or Oklahoma or other choice areas like that. If you don't want boats bust your butt in flight school and select P3's or E-6's and you will never see the boat. Air Force has their share of the shaft like anyone else. If you join Army as regular commission vice Warrant since you have a degree you will most likely only get one flying tour. Marines might be alright. Coast Guard will be cool. Not sure about the age requirements with those two. Good luck one way or another. Better get on it one way or another. I would recommend Navy since you already have been in. Good luck

HueyPilot

yes I am.

TonyC said:
Air Force Reserve - - you're in a perfect location, and they don't have enough applicants to fill the slots. Look for a Reserve recruiter - - don't be distracted by anything other than a RESERVE RECRUITER. You can't afford to waste your time with the others.
I totally agree. The problem is you have to find a unit to sponsor you. I'm not sure that the Reserve board is accepting unsponsored applications. There was a problem last year when they accepted a bunch of unsponsored applicants, and few of them could find a unit to accept them after training (the Afghanistan and Iraq wars were big causes of this). If you are accepted as unsponsored, you must still find a unit to accept you before your training can begin.

The next Reserve selection board is in Sept, but it is probably too late to get a packet up for that one. There is no time to take the AFOQT, BAT, and get an FC1 before Sept. unless you happen to pull off a miracle. The next board will be in March. You will be able to make that board if you hustle. I would suggest you look at the Baseops.net job listing page (http://www.baseops.net/newjob.html) as there are units that post openings (both Guard and Reserve) and will give some contact information for obtaining a slot. It's extraordinarily usefull and I found the unit I am sponsored with through their listing.

One last note, finding a Reserve Recruiter will hasten the process for you. I took my AFOQT and BAT through a Guard Recruiter, but they refused to help me get an FC1. The Reserve Recruiter can get you hooked up for each one with minimal problems. You must be expedient and get those tests taken whether, AFOQT, Army test, Navy test, etc. For Active Duty (if that's your bag), you need to find an OFFICER RECRUITER as they will be the only ones who can get you up for these tests.

GOOD LUCK!!

Navy does guarantee you a pilot slot through the OCS program. They might talk you into an NFO slot (backseat), so stick to your guns. If you go Navy and get winged in jets and only do one 6 month deployment, then consider yourself lucky. I did two deployments in 3 years and one was 10 mos long. That being said, I got to slay a lot of nasty turds over there. Navy's a good time and when you land on a carrier at night....well, you'll be in a small group of bubbas. No slam on any other platform, this is the only flying I know.

You are starting on the right foot by getting advice from every branch. As you can see, every service is defending their own and saying it's a good choice. How can you go wrong?

Best of luck, and make them tell you no.

True college degree not necessary

For Tony C, he was not asking about a successful aviation career, for which it has been accepted a degree is not necessary. He was asking about a military program, for which a degree is most likely necessary, except the Army. I am not writing a term paper on this site, I am providing information in a dash across the keyboard.

Latest resources

Back