• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

s0ldier93

PPL and holding :(
Hello all-

Here's my story so far: Active US Navy for 4 years and 4 months (extended for the results of an officer package, didn't happen). Made E-5 while active. Went reserve, to accomidate college before my age got too high. Still a reservist. I've completed my degree from ERAU. Major was Professional Aeronauitics, Minors are Aviation Safety and Business Management. Also, I've gotten my PPL and have an IFR class at my favorite flight school in my sights.

I am currently located in Warner Robins, Ga near Robins AFB. By my calculations, at age 28 (29 this year), I have exactly one shot to fly for the military. In the sprit of keeping my options open, I am considering Navy, then Air National Guard. It's been very storngly suggested to me the the Air Force is out of the question due to my major not being Engineering.

Having delt with them already, I am well aware of the hardships involved of being in the military. I am looking for any advice or direction given my current situation and status. Please let me know if any further detail or elaboration is needed. Thank you.

Go Army, go CG, go USMC

Go down and talk to your Army recruiter about flying, talk to the Coast Guard, talk to the USMC, apply everywhere, take the first offer that comes your way, as your time is running out. As I have said there is prejudice against helo drivers by the fixed wing guys, but an Army Aviator is a Military Trained pilot and that goes a long way iin establishing yourself as a professional pilot

Go Air Force Reserve

Go Air Force Reserve! Robins AFB is HQ for the Air Force Reserve. Don't sweat not having a tech degree, I don't and I got in. I talked to a Lt Col who sat on a recent pilot board for the reserves and they had more slots than packages. You also have until your 30(unless it changed recently). Next board is Sept, so you're SOL on that one, but you could push and be ready for the March board with a good recruiter. Good luck.

Get moving RIGHT NOW. For the AF, you must take two tests. Talk to a recruiter, and get yourself scheduled for the AFOQT. They give the test twice a month and you might be able to get in on the August tests. After the AFOQT, get yourself scheduled to take the BAT. At that point your are set as far as the AF is concerned. You can try to get yourself a Flying Class 1 physical, but it is not ABSOLUTELY necessary to secure a sponsorship. You will have to get a FC1 before you can head off to AMS/OTS, and it can take time if you have health issues. You may be SOL on the ANG, as they generally select pilot candidates two years in advance, most say you must be selected by 28.5 years.

The Air Force Reserves may be a better deal if you can swing it. The timeline is shorter than the guard for selection to actually starting training. I interviewed in February for a reserve pilot slot, was sponsored by a unit and my paperwork will be going before the September Reserve Selection Board. If all goes well, I will be starting OTS next spring. The Air Force limitation is that you must enter UPT before your 30th B-day. If you are close to the age limit, they will give you a quick OTS date, and even possibly send you to AMS (the guard version of OTS 6 weeks instead of 12 weeks) and make sure you can get to UPT by your 30th. The absolute fastest way to get a pilot slot with the AF is to go active duty, they have selection boards every month.
For sure with the AF, you must take the AFOQT and BAT tests. Get those done ASAP. Also, get the ARCO book, I think it's called Military Flight Apptitude Tests or something along those lines and STUDY your @SS off for the AFOQT. Good AFOQT scores can make up for shortcomings in other areas. Non-tech degree is not an issue. I couldn't tell you anything about the Navy, because I don't like boats, those d@mned things are dangerous!

Interesting. I'll try to get in touch with the AF recruiters and the AF reserves on the base here. Thank you all for yoru advice so far. I will also be looking into the CG, Army and USMC.

Thank you guys for all of your advice so far.

Dude, apply EVERYWHERE. NOW. AF, Navy, Jarheads, CG, Army, Reserves, and every state's Guard.
It's going to be a lot of work, so you don't have time to waste.
All the best,
Andy

Question guys-

If I take the AFOQT once, that will count for all services correct? That is, will all services be able to view the same results, rather than me taking it repeatedly? not that I have a problem with test taking.

Negative!! on the test

Each branch has there own test. Navy, USMC, use the AQT/FAR, Amry has some kind of test like ASFAVT?

pilotyip said:
Each branch has there own test. Navy, USMC, use the AQT/FAR, Amry has some kind of test like ASFAVT?
Got it. Thank you

I'll be looking into the AF and ANG first it seems, being they are the closet to where I live. I'll work on the Navy and USMC on my next (first) drill weekend at NAS Atlanta. Seems I'll have to do some digging for the CG and Army. But I'll find them.

I'll also have to restart the 4a.m. running habbit I put myself on.

yeh.....apply everywhere

I agree with Andy.

Think about quality of life too. I'd go Coast Guard, Air National Guard, AF Reserve, USMC Reserve, then Navy last.

Remember...Navy is boats first, airplanes last.....most of their airfields are not the nicest and 6 months at sea or stuck in Diego...ask the wife or girlfriend or children about that one. In the AF, they will cater to you more as a crew member, bad side is that deployments are up for everyone these days. In the Marines, they are a select-tight-knit group of aviators who kinda do their own thing and can kind of "Fly under the radar"

Latest resources

Back