• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here comes Emirates - more US expansion & A380 use planned

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and get a refund from that CPA! But he might have had you maintain your US resident status for other reasons? Good luck

Make sure you go back and refile your taxes and claim the exemption for all the years you qualified. You are probably looking at some serious cash owed to you by uncle sam.

Let me clarify. I have not paid taxes since I have been over here and have a tax exempt status and filed that way. I was under the impression that I could only spend 30 days a year back in the US. It is a moot point though as I only have 30 days/year leave time which I do spend back home.

I can see now where the Bona-Fide residency would benefit flight crew that flew there all the time or those that had more than 30 days leave. In my case it makes no difference.

On a tax note, I've been an expat for 6 years (FedEx)

And, yes, the bona-fide residence test is legit.

You can spend as many days as you want in the USA under this provision and still legitimately take your foreign income earned exclusion.

Get a new CPA

This one always comes up about once a year. You have to make sure you read the tax code correctly. Also helps to have a CPA with expat tax knowledge/experience as it really helps. As long as you have the residency stamp in your passport, you are fine. I've been commuting back once a month, plus my vacations, and the U.S. destination flights.

I dont think the 30 days counts the days you would be here on a layover..as you are working. That is of course if you dont meet the resident criteria.

I dont think the 30 days counts the days you would be here on a layover..as you are working. That is of course if you dont meet the resident criteria.

Nope, if you are filing using the presence test, days in the US, even for business reasons count against your days at home. Actually time spent in US airspace when enterting and exiting the country counts too. Total BS.

Nope, if you are filing using the presence test, days in the US, even for business reasons count against your days at home. Actually time spent in US airspace when enterting and exiting the country counts too. Total BS.

nobody working for Emirates should use the presence test. Every single pilot working for EK qualifies as a "bona fide resident" and could spend 180 days per year in the US if they could get the days off without jeopardizing their tax exemption. Why this is so hard for people to understand is beyond me.

Latest resources

Back