• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here comes Emirates - more US expansion & A380 use planned

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems like a nice place for a 2 day vacation every other month, I'll trade it for JFK!!!!! uba757

Unless you are a bona fide resident of a foreign country, which all EK pilots are. Then there is no limit to the number of days you can spend in the US.

Not true, I am a US expat living in the UAE with a resident visa and have to file an IRS tax return every year and the first question my CPA asks me is "how many days did you spend in the US in the past year?" 30 days, that's it! Go over that and you pay.

In and Out burgers may be worth it though!

The UK and Australia give their expat citizens 1 day less than 6 months on home soil so they get to go home much more often. That is more reasonable.

There is talk in DC of eliminating the tax exempt status of foreign income earned by expat American citizens altogether. How 'bout them apples!

Draconian IRS tax rules say that a US expat citizen cannot spend more than 30 days per year on home soil or get taxed for all foreign earned income.

More than that time back home could make for a very expensive burrito. There are Taco Bells in the UAE. Same "mystery meat". Camel or what?

Actually 35 days.

Last edited:
Not true, I am a US expat living in the UAE with a resident visa and have to file an IRS tax return every year and the first question my CPA asks me is "how many days did you spend in the US in the past year?" 30 days, that's it! Go over that and you pay.

Get a new CPA, he is wrong!

Then you seriously need a new CPA cause you are losing a lot of money. I have been an expat for 5 years and a bonafide resident of a foreign country and always been over the limit for days as I spend Thanksgiving and Christmas back home. I have always claimed the exemption and it passed an audit.

Read IRS Publication 54 and it clearly states that you must be outside of the US for 330 days per year OR a bona-fide resident. There is even a easy to follow flow chart for the reading impaired.

In and Out burgers may be worth it though!

The UK and Australia give their expat citizens 1 day less than 6 months on home soil so they get to go home much more often. That is more reasonable.

There is talk in DC of eliminating the tax exempt status of foreign income earned by expat American citizens altogether. How 'bout them apples!

Well I guess just like there are good pilots and crap pilots there appear to be clueless CPA's as well. I'm surprised this guy you use knows so little about his own profession. Obviously he doesn't do much work with overseas residents. To gain the foreign tax exemption you must either pass the physical presence test OR, again that's an OR, the Bona Fide Resident test....

here's a link if you are still skeptical. Why limit yourself to 30 days back home per year? Part of your employment with EK includes a resident visa.

http://taxes.about.com/od/taxhelp/a/ForeignIncome_2.htm

I stand corrected and so will my CPA! He never mentioned the Bona-Fide Resident test.
I understand it now. Thanks for all the info.

Make sure you go back and refile your taxes and claim the exemption for all the years you qualified. You are probably looking at some serious cash owed to you by uncle sam.

Latest resources

Back