Herb flys AA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XR650R

This was taken from a web blog at dfw.com...

Herb Kelleher causes a stir wherever he goes, even in the rival's den.

Kelleher took American Airlines Flight 1199 this morning, the nonstop from Reagan National to DFW, and the executive chairman of Southwest Airlines had the first seat in first class.

As I boarded later with the economy crowd, I mentioned to the pilots that they had Kelleher as a passenger. That elicited a few oohs and aahs and some minor expletives about the Wright Amendment. The pilot said they ought to just tear up the runways at Love Field, but the first class flight attendant wasn't moved by the business star. ``If you see George Clooney, then tell me,'' she said.

I mentioned this reaction to Kelleher, and he ribbed the attendant throughout the flight. ``I told her I'd get her free passes to my next movie, and then I batted my eyes at her,'' Kelleher said, blinking like a guy with stars in his eyes.

Kelleher walked to the back of the cabin to talk with a retired military officer and another flight attendant asked him if he was trying to steal American's customers. Kelleher laughed loudly and hugged her. Then he offered her a job.

Cute story. From what I recall from the book "Hard Landings", bigwigs of all the majors get to ride on each others flights for free as a professional courtesy. Although I can see how times are tough and so this appears a little less cordial a situation, I don't see too many pilots not jumpseating on each other's competition. Besides, if the Wright Amendment was gone, Herb would have flown direct to BWI, and driven to the Capitol. I wouldn't want to rat him out, but I would take his cigarettes if you see him strolling toward the lav every hour. I'm sure he had a case of nicotine gum.

First Rule of Warfare is........

Know your enemy.

Aside from getting where he needed to be, I'm sure he was taking mental notes on how things were done at AA.

Do you suppose any execs from the legacy carriers ever ride JB, AirTran or Southwest?

I flew Neeleman from OAK to LAX....

I flew with David Ortiz from Boston to Detroit... ;) (and by with him I mean, he was in first, I was waaaay in the back).

I wonder if he was doing recon or just flying up - interesting article! He's a very well spoken, and smart (obviously) guy...

How come Herb doesn't ride in Coach, maybe he doesn't want to sit in the back of his buses with the typical SWA passengers.

He is riding non-rev. Herb is up front with the rest of the non-revs, AA pilots and FA's. That is why he went to the back to offer an FA a job and meet the competition's customers.

Latest resources

Back