Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hogdriver00

Hendrick Motor King Air Crash 2004

Just read the mishap report. Anyone know much about this department? Pay or QOL. I see a lot of red flags in their organization and it seems like the NTSB is trying to make a point about how the operation is run. Any thoughts?

Hog

Last edited:
hogdriver00 said:
Just read the mishap report. Anyone know much about this department? Pay or QOL. I see a lot of red flags in their organization and it seems like the NTSB is trying to make a point about how the operation is run. Any thoughts?

Hog

I have read it as well and I bet you can figure out more about the place from reading that accident report than you ever will from anyone on this forum.

From reading the report I can't imagine how whoever was in charge of the department could still be employed.

I had a fed on board a few weeks ago and he was showing us exactly where they impacted. From what he was saying it was pretty unbelievable how they screwed it up so bad. It's sort of a pyramid shaped mountain with a flat top. The impact point is on a perfect extended centerline from the northbound runway (RNWY 30). http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0604/05648R30.PDF

Last edited:
h25b said:
I have read it as well and I bet you can figure out more about the place from reading that accident report than you ever will from anyone on this forum.
OK, I just looked up and read the accident report, and I'm a little confused about what your referencing about "figuring out more about the place." It didn't give anything but the accident flight description.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20041104X01760&ntsbno=IAD05MA006&akey=1

Would you like to elaborate more for us interested?

User997 said:
OK, I just looked up and read the accident report, and I'm a little confused about what your referencing about "figuring out more about the place." It didn't give anything but the accident flight description.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20041104X01760&ntsbno=IAD05MA006&akey=1

Would you like to elaborate more for us interested?

You need to read the full report...

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/AAB0601.pdf

I found this part the most interesting...

During a postaccident interview, the captain who was hired as Hendrick​

Motorsports’ first pilot stated that, before the accident flight, the company’s flight department had never experienced any accidents, incidents, or violations. He also stated that the company never pressured any pilots to fly in bad weather and that the pilots always made the final decision regarding whether to fly in such conditions. The captain further stated that the flight department’s maintenance costs were never questioned and that the department’s budget was not limited because senior company management

“wanted it done right.”

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Postaccident Actions

After the accident, Hendrick Motorsports made immediate, short-term, and

long-term changes to the company’s organization, practices, and equipment. Some ofthese changes had already been planned or were in progress at the time of the accident and were further enhanced as a result of the company’s participation in the investigation.
Hendrick Motorsports installed an EGPWS on each aircraft. The EGPWS
provides pilots with a pictorial view of terrain (displayed on the radar screen, the multifunction display, or the GPS screen) in addition to aural warnings (as provided by the EGPWS). The company also installed a traffic alert collision avoidance system in each aircraft. Further, the company installed new Garmin GPS 400 units (with EGPWS) in Beech 1900 airplanes. In addition, the company moved the terrain depiction on the Gulfstream II from the global navigation system screen, which is mounted on the center console, to the radar screen on the front instrument panel, which is directly in the pilot’s
view.
Hendrick Motorsports created three new positions: aviation director, safety
program manager, and full-time dispatcher. (The company previously had a part-time dispatcher.) The company’s chief pilot was selected as aviation director and was responsible for the oversight of the entire aviation department. (The most senior company pilot was then promoted to chief pilot.) The responsibilities of safety program manager were added to the duties of a newly hired pilot who had a background in safety for a
major airline.
Along with the staffing changes, Hendrick Motorsports established a safety
committee that comprised staff members from the company’s operations, flight, and maintenance departments and hired an independent safety consulting firm to review the flight department’s operations. Also, Hendrick Motorsports consolidated the company’s standard operating procedures for all aircraft in its fleet and issued addendums to the procedures for each aircraft model. In addition, Hendrick Motorsports revised the company’s training plan to include two training sessions per year for each pilot. One session consisted of recurrent training, with 1 week of academic and flight simulator training. The other session consisted of 1 day of academic training for special circumstances (for example, cold weather considerations and mountain flying) and 1 day of emergency procedures training in a flight simulator.​
[/FONT]

Last edited:
In other words, according to this Captain they always wanted it done right but it's pretty obvious that they didn't start doing it right until they plowed a King Air in to a mountain...

h25b said:
The captain further stated that the flight department’s maintenance costs were never questioned and that the department’s budget was not limited because senior company management
“wanted it done right.”

Which is why they were flying with an expired GPS data base plugged inside a non-certified GPS receiver?

Give me a Fuking break!

Nascar has been and always will be about egos and cowboys. They could give two $hits about "doing it right". Unless it's about the car.

And you heard it right here Mr. Hendrick!

Thanks H25B, that full report made a lot more sense. Sad...

And for two experienced pilots to botch up an approach so badly is almost hard to comprehend.

I know the full details of the crash outside the NTSB Report. I will say this regarding the accident. The pilots that spoke up regarding the unsafe issues in the flight department before the accident and were interviewed during the NTSB Investigation and came clean were all mysteriously let go by the company 6 mos to a year after the crash. This was not about Cowboy Pilots. You will find those a short ride up to Mr. Sunday Money's Flight Department. This was about poor and incompetent aviation management. Most of these wanna-be manager's obtain their positions through luck, attrition and how much ass there willing to kiss. BTW, the manager got demoted to only flying as a Capt. on the GIII. He's still employed. But the pilots who spoke up.......are in the unemployment line.

Nascar

Thanks for your replies. Basically want I expected.

Contrails: Are you saying that the CP that was promoted to DO is no longer the DO? What happened to the senior guy that all the sudden was CP material?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back