Help with an IFR flight plan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I am planning an IFR trip from NW Indiana to Rice lake Wisconsin in a 310. The plane has a Garmin 430 in it. I need help in planning the route. I use fltplan.com for my actual filing. What would be a good route choice going through Chicago? Can I file Direct? I am fairly new at real world IFR flying. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

If the Falls and Volk MOAs are cold in central Wi, something like JOT DLL EAU would probably work well. If the MOAs are hot and you can't get through, well, that's a hassle.

Volk approach may vector you through the MOA even if it's hot, or at least around the restricted areas that are up there.

If that's not the case, you'll wind up going west (JOT ODI EAU or something) or east (OSH STE) around the MOAs.

You can try direct, who knows, you might get it. It is helpful to include a point within each center's airspace to keep the computers happy. Just remember that the points that define your route become mandatory reporting points if you hear the magic "Radar contact lost" words.

Radar coverage is pretty good up there so that shouldn't be an issue.

I usually file to an initial approach fix or start of a transition if it looks like I'll have to fly an approach on arrival.

As for getting through Chicago, well, might as well plan to go around and be happily surprised if you get more or less straight through.

I am planning an IFR trip from NW Indiana to Rice lake Wisconsin in a 310. The plane has a Garmin 430 in it. I need help in planning the route. I use fltplan.com for my actual filing. What would be a good route choice going through Chicago? Can I file Direct? I am fairly new at real world IFR flying. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

File direct but assume you will get a re-route at SOME point. I fly up to Hayward and Eagle River all the time. I am always cleared GPS direct, but usually halfway through I get rerouted around MOA's and a few restricted areas that my direct course doesn't even take me through.

-Michael

How do you have an instrument rating if you don't even know how to plan an IFR flight? Get the enroute chart, get waypoints along the route, fuel stops if needed. If you're using a 430 installed for IFR use, you can just go Direct to if you really want and just follow the magenta line.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah Baune, I am not sure how I even have an instrument rating, I mean I did crash and injure the examiner on checkride day. No seriously, I asked a question that everyone answered without any smarta$$ remarks, except you. Anyway, blue skies buddy.

Direct Kelsi int direct destination. It's far enough SW of ORD that they usually leave you alone.

Groundskprwilly, thanks for the advice. I was thinking that or Polo vor. Kelsi is a bit closer, so I think I will use it. Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back