Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help: When should I apply/Get type for SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh-ryan said:
If there has been anyone with less than 2500 TT and 1600 PIC that was interviewed please feel free to scream it aloud with a reply here.
1580 PIC
3000 Total
Interviewed Mar 04

Yahtz

P.S. Congrats on the call Skyrunner!

I guess my numbers were misleading. I actually have 2200 PIC, just 1000 of which is in turbine A/C. I am not sure if PIC other than turbine factors in at all however.
Either way, it sounds as though it will be smarter for me to just suck it up and pay the full price to get the type and apply now. Even though I have "just" the mins it sounds like I can take a chance now and hope I get lucky and if not, keep updating as I get more hours. Think I will try K&S since I am an ASU guy. Thanks for all of the advice and good luck to all of you others who are applying/waiting for call backs.

Get your online app in now. When you get the type update that. Update every 2 weeks or so with your additional fight time. If you are definately getting a reserve job, look into the Reserve GI bill. Ask your new units career counselor (or the Air Force equivalent). There is some good money there also, with a commitment to stay in a payed reserve billet for 6 years after you use the funds. I signed up for it and was going to use it for my 737 type, but AirTran called and I ended up in class before I used the funds. I live Atlanta and my reserve unit is in Atlanta also so it is a great fit for me.

Get your apps out NOW to everyone you even think you would want to work for. Back in 98 when I was getting out, I delayed sending my apps out about 6 months to get more PIC time and be more competive. It cost me a year of seniority. All of the Majors called me at about the same time to interview (about a year after I sent in the apps). I went with US Air (the first to call) and Delta called 2 months later. If I would have sent in my apps as soon as I met the mins, instead of trying to "be more competive" i would have gotten the call from Delta, and would probably have never been furloughed.

Look into the reserve money, and get your apps out NOW!!!

Thanks for serving and continuing to serve in the reserves (you will definately enjoy leading two different lives as an airline pilot and as a military pilot)

Navy9

I second NavyC9's advice. I also got out in 98, but have remained in a flying reserve job since 99. It's really paid off being able to continue to log PIC turbine, something I can't do in my civilian job right now, and the extra money doesn't hurt either. I'm currently going through the process of using my reserve MGIB to pay for my 737 type. I'm attending HPA next month, and as I understand it, the VA will be kicking in about $4400. I think you can write off the remaining 3K so really you're down to about $2k out of pocket. Not a bad deal at all... If you can work it before you get out do it... Otherwise plop down the coin. Wells Fargo has a pretty decent career education loan program, if you don't want to spend all the money at once.

My unsolicited ill informed advice??? Apply as soon as you meet the mins, let the airline decide if you are competitive.

Sundevil said:
I guess my numbers were misleading. I actually have 2200 PIC, just 1000 of which is in turbine A/C.

. . . I am an ASU guy. . .
Sundevil,

I notice you've got the Fred in your profile. The Memphis ANG just started picking up Freds, and they're gettin' more. I don't know if you're interested in going that route, but there's a freight outfit next to them on the ramp that's also hiring, and you won't need a 737 type.

Commuting from PHX is pretty simple on the company airplane, and having a family member with pass privileges can come in handy when you're building schedules with deadheads.

Just a thought.

Latest resources

Back