Help: Shuttle America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jharrison516

Hey Everyone, I need some advice concerning Shuttle America. Many of you know this story but here goes for those who don't.

I interviewed at the end of May and was advised by mail two weeks later that I was hired into the pool. About three months of waiting without a clue later I was called by Bonnie in training and told that class would be October 14th. I gave notice at my very nice freight flying job and returned to New York to see my family and rest for a week or two before training. As I was leaving St. Louis, I was notified that class was postponed with no explanation and no estimated holding time.
Homeless and unemployed, I returned to New York and got my old job back working the line at Farmingdale. In late October, I got a call telling me that class would be November 4th. With less than two weeks notice, I told my boss that I was leaving which didn't earn me any points with him, and told Shuttle America that I would attend class. Last week the chief pilot called me personally and told me that I didn't need to worry about class because they were revoking their offer of employment completely. He refused to give me any explanation and he was quite irritable on the phone.

So, I need some advice here. What's up? I didn't work for them so I didn't have a chance to mess up. There is nothing in my background that I intentionally failed to disclose in my interview, and I left my last job on good terms. As far as I know, the class is still going on. What should I do? What legal rights, if any, do I have?

Good Luck and Fly Safe,
John

I agree, after reading your posts in previous threads, shooting your mouth off about how poorly they are handling things was probably not a good idea, especially since you used your name in your username on here. If you're so pissed off about how poorly they were treating you, why were you hanging everything on them? This is the way the business works, if you can't stand it already, I'd change careers now.

Incidently, Shuttle America is pretty messed up, I don't know how much you really know about them, but it's been quite a ride for the guys there.

Best of luck to you, I'd get a new username without my name in it, and not badmouth anyone or anything I am going to count on later.

Thank you, gents...

...and possibly ladies...

I didn't have the heart to point out any further to this individual how he shot himself in the foot vis-a-vis Shuttle America.

I don't have to bend my mind very far to point out to John Harrison that having his NAME stapled all over comments involving such terms as "sleazy" and "underhanded" when referring to the company that he's hoping to get hired on with involved an unbelievably foolish amount of self-disclosure...

John, John, John... Read your own thread, "Shuttle America: Pool or Ocean?" to find all the answers you need. If you read this (again) and STILL can't figure out why the chief pilot called you personally and sounded "irritable", well....

And don't you DARE lash out at the company any further, you blew it on your own, with no help from anyone else.

Last edited:
relax I.P. this guy has paid enough of a price with out you joining in. Im sure he learned his lesson.

I'm not so sure about that...

If he'd truly learned his lesson, he wouldn't have asked the question that started this thread in the first place.

Re: Thank you, gents...

I.P. Freley said:

he shot himself in the foot vis-a-vis Shuttle America....

I'd call it a blessing in disguise. Seems the way pilots ( or applicants) are treated over there its a good thing the job was "revoked". He is better off...

his NAME stapled all over comments involving such terms as "sleazy" and "underhanded" when referring to the company that he's hoping to get hired on with involved an unbelievably foolish amount of self-disclosure...

All i know, you named this person, in full. He didnt! Never once did he address the fact his screename was his real name. How do you know it wasnt someone other than John (perhaps an ex girlfriend/wife/pissed off student) making these posts?

If you read this (again) and STILL can't figure out why the chief pilot called you personally...

The CP of Shuttle America reads message boards online and bases his hiring (or firing) decisions on a internet post without talking to the individual personally about the issue? I mean come on now, what kind of professionalism does that show? I think John picked the correct words for this company. I seen many other posts blasting the company from many others for the way they treat future employees. This company sounds like a joke. If someone cant express himself on an internet message board without fear just because he used his real name, whats next? Perhaps someone that is pissed off at you will logon with YOUR real name and make derrogatory comments about the company you work for in hopes you get fired. If you work for Shuttle America, seems it could happen since the Chief pilot makes such intelligent decisions based on an internet message board... lol...such a joke!

And don't you DARE lash out at the company any further...

Why cant he? what you gonna do about it? Last i checked we have free speech in this country. Im lashing out at Shuttle America right now. Care to tell me to "keep my mouth shut"? Watch how long it lasts! You should see our ALPA message boards for ACA. The posts on here about Shuttle America pale in comparison. Does anyone get fired over it? No, cause ACA has professionals working in the CP Office that realize things get frustrating at times. Also, our REAL FULL NAMES are attached to our posts. And yes, Management does read it. Its not the person who reacts that has to be watched, its the one that doesnt, or the ones that do it anonymously. You think John is the only one that feels this way about Shuttle America? lol... you guys are more ignorant than i thought....

John, I'd say you have a pretty good lawsuit if you got something in writing saying you were hired. I'd also print out this thread. But then again, i probably wouldnt waste time on such a third rate company. They obviously liked you when you interviewed. If the CP revoked your hiring status based on justified posts on this board without even trying to see if it was really you who posted, or realizing your frustrations, you dont want to work there anyway. That is sleazy in itself. Shuttle America isnt for you. The company is a joke. If the CP fired you based on a freakin internet message board, he is a joke himself and Shuttle America management may want to look into replacing him before lawsuits become the norm at the company. However i would like to think, perhaps, he might be a bit more professional and there are other reasons why they hire you based on a personal interview then revoke it for reasons other than some posts on an internet site called flightinfo.com. Although from what these other people are saying, it doesnt seem likely... lol.. Does the CP at Shuttle America log on to theweatherchannel.com for the airline wx briefings too? I can see it now in the ops specs, "Authorized weather reports exclusively at weatherchannel.com. Specific Station weather can be obtained by the IFR/MVFR/VFR US Map or by placing the zipcode of the city in the search feature. Reports will be disseminated as Clear, Partly Cloudy, Mostly Cloudy or overcast. Precip identifiers can be obtain from radar data or the little rain shower icon shown under the cloud for the city zipcode"... lol

Last edited:
My my, RJ has a lot on his mind. Too bad so much of it is predictable bashing of the company, not the actions that precipitated this whole thread in the first place. I'm also not sure why it is that you took it so personally. And a "lawsuit"? Are you for real?

Of course some people here are unhappy... Just like they are over at ACA, I imagine. Perhaps there are even more unhappy people here on a percent basis than at YOUR company, even. I think your postulating that something like this wouldn't happen at ACA is ridiculous, however, and somehow you don't make the distinction between employees of the company and people who have simply been OFFERED employment. I could come on here with my name and complain up and down and call everyone in management a rat and NO I wouldn't be fired (your assumptions to the contrary notwithstanding), but I sure wouldn't expect to get a Christmas card this year.

For all your chest-thumping about freedom of speech and how vicious people are on your ALPA boards, you hopefully will come to the conclusion that yes, you can say anything you want and you can choose to do it either with your name attached or not... But you'd better be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions if people you are bad-mouthing find out, just like in "real life."

Now that you've made the assumption that everything is so terrible over here based upon this or something else you've read, I guess I can now go ahead and make the assumption that everything is terrible at ACA, too, since there are so many angry people on your dedicated message boards. Is your company crappy, too?

See how this works? Fun, innit?

Latest resources

Back