Help Me

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
That depends on the schedule I could hold, since you are obviously new to the industry, did you think you should hold 3 day trips with 17 or 18 days off a month your first year? Sure you have some long duty days 12-14 hours but are you really working during that time? I am pretty sure that someone in the retail industry is earning everybit of that 8 hour work day. But I guess you are really lazy, and think standing in the fast food line, or sitting in the crew lounge between turns, or in your case hoisting the sail, work, then I would suggest a career change. Do I think we are on duty long hours sometimes, yes, but to compare what you make and the hours you work to somebody at Walmart does not make a whole lot of sense. Good Luck you are gonna need it!

You've got to be kidding, right? You don't consider time between flights work time? A better comparison is some happy medium between duty time and TAFB. How many hours a month is a 9-5er really away from home for their pay? It is certainly not 250-450 hours. Are you working all those hours, no...but you sure as hell aren't home taking care of business or seeing your family. Let's not be ridiculous about giving management more of our time for free.

Last edited:
Swaayze said:
You've got to be kidding, right? You don't consider time between flights work time? A better comparison is some happy medium between duty time and TAFB. How many hours a month is a 9-5er really away from home for their pay? It is certainly not 250-450 hours. Are you working all those hours, no...but you sure as hell aren't home taking care of business or seeing your family. Let's not be ridiculous about giving management more of our time for free.

I may be at work but I am certainly not working while chillin in the crew lounge! Surely you knew before you became a pilot that you would be away from home as you put 250-450 hours per month, didn't you? I truely hope so!

jehtplane,

My company considers me to be on duty - WORKING - while I am between flights. In fact they can call to reschedule me if they see fit and it's legal even when I'm "chillin in the crew lounge." I don't get paid for time between flights yet I am available to the company. I consider that to be working since I'm not able to be home and off the clock so to speak.

It's funny and sad that you and others want to say, "surely you knew before you became a pilot...." I don't think that a lot of people know how it is in this profession before they take the job. If they did, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to buy their way into the right seat at an airline, putting themselves into debt just to find out the return isn't so great afterall.

Last edited:
fly4ever said:
jehtplane,

My company considers me to be on duty - WORKING - while I am between flights. In fact they can call to reschedule me if they see fit and it's legal even when I'm "chillin in the crew lounge." I don't get paid for time between flights yet I am available to the company. I consider that to be working since I'm not able to be home and off the clock so to speak.

It's funny and sad that you and others want to say, "surely you knew before you became a pilot...." I don't think that a lot of people know how it is in this profession before they take the job. If they did, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to buy their way into the right seat at an airline, putting themselves into debt just to find out the return isn't so great afterall.

If you seriously do not know what it is like in this profession before you get into it then YOU ARE A MORON, DO RESEARCH ON THE PROSPECTIVE COMPANIES BEFORE YOU GO THERE. Nobody pays well first year THAT IS WHY YOU ARE JUNIOR, YOU WILL HAVE CRAP SCHEDULES SO STFU AND quit whining or find a new profession, for you I would suggest Wendy's

jehtplane said:
If you seriously do not know what it is like in this profession before you get into it then YOU ARE A MORON, DO RESEARCH ON THE PROSPECTIVE COMPANIES BEFORE YOU GO THERE. Nobody pays well first year THAT IS WHY YOU ARE JUNIOR, YOU WILL HAVE CRAP SCHEDULES SO STFU AND quit whining or find a new profession, for you I would suggest Wendy's
He's not a moron. I would bet that if you could replay this chap's life back on a dvd player and a television, I would portend that every time he asked someone what the career was like, each and every cult member he asked said, "It's the best non-job in the world!"

jehtplane,

I have been in the airline industry for over five years and have been a working pilot for over 18. Don't throw your drivel at me. I am a captain at my airline and I have the privilege of flying with a lot of very good people - you wouldn't have a chance of being included in that group. People with your attitude and insulting behavior are a big cause of the problems we have in this industry.

Just because you may have known or don't know what this industry is like before you get in it should not be an excuse for being treated the way we get treated at our respective companies. My company is in bankruptcy as an excuse to negate our union contracts. I don't think anyone can describe what it is like to go through this kind of treatment. You don't know until you have been through it yourself.

Get over yourself. Your behavior and comments are disgusting.

Last edited:
Oh, 9 days off at home, BWAAAAAY.

In my corporate suit monkey days, I got 8 days off a month but usually only got to take 6 off because "something hot" was always needing to get done.

Didn't you know what being in this business meant before you go hired?

CapnVegetto said:
Problem is, flying an RJ for $15K a year beats instructing for $10K a year. It's a step up. 'Ol Jonny O at Mesa says he still pays his RJ FO's TOO MUCH. Why? Because he can still fill up any class at the drop of a hat. Riddle, UND, etc. isn't helping, putting out hundreds of kids that are willing to fly for nothing. I can't get mad at 'em because they just don't know any better. They're young and naive. 1 year in the industry will change that fast. It's all about supply and demand. When flight instructors become hard to find, wages will go up. When JO can't find people to work for him, wages will go up. Econ 101....supply and demand.

Did you get turned down by UND or ERAU or something?? Every chance you get you bash these schools, among others. You khow who the people are perpetuating the myth about aviation jobs? The 747 captain who comes to these schools and gives "speeches" about how they make/made 300K+ and only work 10 days a month. These schools turn out no better or worse pilots than mom and pop or even military routes. They do turn out a lot, but not a lot of that a lot go on to airlines. Why because the real bone heads can't make it, just like the 61 world.

I guess my real question is, have you ever toured or even better done any training at any of your so hated schools or did you just form and opinion using your powers of foresite?

DC8 Flyer said:
Did you get turned down by UND or ERAU or something?? Every chance you get you bash these schools, among others. You khow who the people are perpetuating the myth about aviation jobs? The 747 captain who comes to these schools and gives "speeches" about how they make/made 300K+ and only work 10 days a month. These schools turn out no better or worse pilots than mom and pop or even military routes. They do turn out a lot, but not a lot of that a lot go on to airlines. Why because the real bone heads can't make it, just like the 61 world.

I guess my real question is, have you ever toured or even better done any training at any of your so hated schools or did you just form and opinion using your powers of foresite?

I am referring to every little $hithead that thinks he's superior because he went to "Riddle." I'm referring to every f-ing time I've been sitting in a class and some f*cker raises his hand and starts a sentence with "Well at Riddle we did this..." I'm referring to every little prick that is more than happy to shell out $100K for training and then work for nothing just to build time, thereby taking a job away from someone more qualified. Did I get turned down by Riddle? Nope. To tell you the truth I didn't even know what Riddle was until I was in college at Auburn, and the Riddle guys were standing around at the airport during SAFECON one year flipping the bird to everybody else practicing landings. Why the hell would I want to pay $100K+ for training at Riddle when I could pay less than half that most anywhere else and get just as good, if not better training. Why do I hate Riddle? Because of what they put out. Hundreds of kids that are willing to work for nothing. Is it the kids' fault? Nope. It's Riddle's fault for basically lying their a$$ off about everything in the industry. It's people like Kit Darby's fault for spewing out bull$hit like "10,000 new jobs this year!!!!!" 8000 of them are probably jobs like SWA, JetBlue, CAL, that these kids have no shot at. They fail to mention things like this......just like they fail to mention that you're going to work for nothing until you make captain, have a pretty good shot at a furlough, 1000 PIC turbine is the MINIMUM to get on with any decent carrier, and have fun competing with the other 20,000 guys out there that are more qualified for you and looking for jobs. Pay is down, pensions are going away, mainline jobs are vanishing, work rules are nowhere near as good as they used to be, and almost everyone is losing money. Yet they just lie lie lie lie, take naive people's money and laugh their a$$es off all the way to the bank.

Like that rant??

Ahhh, forget it, Im becoming what I hate. Your entitled to your opinion I respect that.

ps

Go Steelers, even if the refs tried to give it to Indy!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back