• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nancy Pryor said:
Wal*mart is hiring.

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=218

Wal*mart says: "Our average hourly wage for regular full-time associates in the U.S. is $9.68 an hour, almost double the federal minimum wage."

Let's see... $9.68 x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks = $20134.40 a year.

Interesting... $20134.40 a year / 12 months = $1677.86 per month.

Hmmm... $1677.86 / 75 hours a month (typical regional) = $22.37/hour.

Wow, that's more than most regionals pay shiny jet FO's the first year or two, and all you have to do is stand at the door of Wal*mart and say "hello" to the customers as they enter the store. Just like on the shiny jet, but you don't have to fly the store to another city once all the customers are in. Obviously these Wal*mart employees are highly overpaid :laugh: just ask one.

Yes but you are not working 40 hours a week, and if you count sitting in a hotel room working, than I would suggest a new profession.

BOHICAgain said:
ok just trying to find input from different people. I just got figured out what my 2005 W2 will be. I just finished first year at a regional and I made a wooping $ 20,500 before taxes (not including per-diem) Thats it its pathetic I know but that first year pay. Second year pay isnt that much better where I am at. Can anyone please tell me how in the world people can survive on this kind of pay. Having a max of 12 days off a month while commuting. Scheds not commuter freindly so I only get to be at home max about 9 full days off at home. A future so bleak that its pathetic. I can only hope to get upgrade within 3 years from now.. but then what be stuck at a regional for the next 10 years.. There are captains where I am at with 6 years getting 11 days off. That not where I want to be..... So please anyone enlighten me why is everybody still here. I know this job is awsome from door close to door open but I just barely take care of myself with this kind of money i cant even imagine what it must be like to have kids and see them almost never.. and to those that are fed up with the profession where are you going....

venting over..

$20,500 and 12 days off! I'll do your job to $15,000 and 8 days off;)

jehtplane said:
Yes but you are not working 40 hours a week, and if you count sitting in a hotel room working, than I would suggest a new profession.

How many duty hours do you put in during an average week genius? I wasn't talking about block time (yeah I know Mesa has 'issues' with that). If you consider duty time (you should, it's the time you really spend on the job) instead of block time, who is paid better for the time you put in, you or a Wal*mart greeter? I think most pilots reading my post probably had no trouble at all understanding the point of the Wal*mart comparison, including the obvious fact that there are differences in how hours are counted between the two jobs, I hope this clarifies things enough for you that you can understand it too.

everyone starts at the bottom. everyone was once a cfi and probably doesn't want to go back to that if you'rein a regional, i sure don't. the pay isn't the greatest, BUT there's always other options. you won't be a captain flying a 777 right out of college. if u want more money and good flight time go do cargo. AIRNET is hiring like crazy and pays a hell of a lot better than regionals. i don't know about you, but i reseached my job before i took it. i knew about days off, i knew about spending countless nights in hotels, i knew about the pay. so my choices were sit there and get paid 14$/hr flight instructing with little to no students........orrrr........fly for a regional for slightly better wages and definetely better equipment.

I'm not a "Regional" guy but saw this thread when I hit "New Posts".

I agree with DetoXJ. Did you think your pay was going to be something different? I remember as a student pilot I looked up salary info for regionals and wondered how anyone could survive on 15-20K a year. Did you do ANY research before accepting the job? Did the HR dept lie about your payscale and schedule?

Why did you take the job if you don't like the pay and QOL?

aviatornick said:
everyone starts at the bottom. everyone was once a cfi and probably doesn't want to go back to that if you'rein a regional, i sure don't. the pay isn't the greatest, BUT there's always other options. you won't be a captain flying a 777 right out of college. if u want more money and good flight time go do cargo. AIRNET is hiring like crazy and pays a hell of a lot better than regionals. i don't know about you, but i reseached my job before i took it. i knew about days off, i knew about spending countless nights in hotels, i knew about the pay. so my choices were sit there and get paid 14$/hr flight instructing with little to no students........orrrr........fly for a regional for slightly better wages and definetely better equipment.
Thank you! I just don't understand how some people can have such tunnel vision when they're taking their shinny jet job, that they don't even realize how much it pays. Didn't you talk to anyone who worked there first? Do a little simple math and figure out your pay. Know what you are getting into... other than the airplane you're gonna be stuck in for the better part of your next ten years. And for the CFI's out there here's a hint, it really doesn't matter what type you fly... they all are basically the same. I'd rather fly a piper cub than an RJ. Just can't find anyone to pay me for it. Alright, I'll stop now.

Problem is, flying an RJ for $15K a year beats instructing for $10K a year. It's a step up. 'Ol Jonny O at Mesa says he still pays his RJ FO's TOO MUCH. Why? Because he can still fill up any class at the drop of a hat. Riddle, UND, etc. isn't helping, putting out hundreds of kids that are willing to fly for nothing. I can't get mad at 'em because they just don't know any better. They're young and naive. 1 year in the industry will change that fast. It's all about supply and demand. When flight instructors become hard to find, wages will go up. When JO can't find people to work for him, wages will go up. Econ 101....supply and demand.

CapnVegetto said it.

Now the existing RJ pilots who are willing to sell their souls in order to bring 70,90,100+ seat "RJs" onto the property for a fraction of DC9, F100, F28, 737-200 pay....

... well they have no such excuse.

Nancy Pryor said:
How many duty hours do you put in during an average week genius? I wasn't talking about block time (yeah I know Mesa has 'issues' with that). If you consider duty time (you should, it's the time you really spend on the job) instead of block time, who is paid better for the time you put in, you or a Wal*mart greeter? I think most pilots reading my post probably had no trouble at all understanding the point of the Wal*mart comparison, including the obvious fact that there are differences in how hours are counted between the two jobs, I hope this clarifies things enough for you that you can understand it too.

That depends on the schedule I could hold, since you are obviously new to the industry, did you think you should hold 3 day trips with 17 or 18 days off a month your first year? Sure you have some long duty days 12-14 hours but are you really working during that time? I am pretty sure that someone in the retail industry is earning everybit of that 8 hour work day. But I guess you are really lazy, and think standing in the fast food line, or sitting in the crew lounge between turns, or in your case hoisting the sail, work, then I would suggest a career change. Do I think we are on duty long hours sometimes, yes, but to compare what you make and the hours you work to somebody at Walmart does not make a whole lot of sense. Good Luck you are gonna need it!

Latest resources

Back