• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help me Chose, CJ3 PIC or CL300 SIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if you turn down the 300 job, would you mind letting me know? I am typed, but no time in time (typical 135 story)

I would go with the 300, great plane, large, complex. Most part 91 or fortune 500 operators will pay a 300 F/O more than a CJ-3 PIC. The PIC time will follow. Not knocking the CJ, it is a great plane, but you move a few steps higher on the ladder a lot faster. The 300 will open more doors, international op's. Just my 2 cents

It's fun and tough to have such a situation. It's great to have a forum like this to seek some guidance. Take all the thoughts and info to help look at the pros and cons. In the end you have to decide what's best for you.
That said, ask yourself these questions:
-What or where are you trying get in this crazy industry? (i.e., large cargo, fractional, airline, large corporate gig)
-Culture of each company? Flying with boring or rough personality types makes a day of flying hard to stomach.
-Do you need jet PIC time? Remember, any one can follow (SIC), but not everyone can lead (PIC). The right PIC time is still very important in some parts of this market.
-Job security better at one then the other? Jet fuel not getting any cheaper.
-Benefits package? Do you need to worry about such with a family?
-Look at the overall QOL of life issues.

I hope some of this helps as does the other answers you have received. Good luck!! In the end things have a funny way of working out. So no matter what you decide don't regret it nor look back.

Ok... here are the offers... both pay the same, similar benifits about the same schedule.

CJ3 Single Pilot PIC (Jeans friendly gig, part 91)
or
CL300 SIC (Part 91/135)

Help a brotha' out!

If you are going to be typed in the 300 then take the 300 and try your best to get 100-200 hours of left seat. 300 pilots are few so there is a huge demand for PIC.

My initial reaction was to say take the PIC time. But then I reflected back on my progress. I did it the old school way, singles then twins, then turbines and finally into jets. I was told about the importance of PIC time and I still believe that to be very important in the formative years of your training.
There comes a point when opportunity comes and if you miss it, it may not come around again for a while. I was pigeon holed in a smaller jet for several years and watched as many with less experience than myself were moving up to larger bizjets and larger salaries. I now believe that with the larger jet experience comes more opportunities for you to fly larger airframes and this in turn will allow you to fly more diverse trips ( You cover more geography in a CL300) which will make you more marketable later down the road.

Ok... here are the offers... both pay the same, similar benifits about the same schedule.

CJ3 Single Pilot PIC (Jeans friendly gig, part 91)
or
CL300 SIC (Part 91/135)

Help a brotha' out!
I don't know anything about your background so I'll have to ask the question... Experience wise, are you ready to fly the CJ3 single-pilot or would spending some time in the right seat of the CL300 be good for you? Part 91 vs Part 135 is a "no brainer" - the happiest day of my life was the day we took our airplane off of the 135 certificate. Life is soooo much simplier now. How long will you sit right seat in the CL300? It may be worth doing it if they'll upgrade you in a reasonable period of time; however, remember that when it comes to building time PIC time is normally more valuable than SIC time.

What you're probably going to figure out is that both opportunities have their pros and cons. Add them up and go with which ever seems to fit you best at this point in your career. It's not your first job and it won't be your last.

LS

PIC time will come eventually. A free type rating (in bigger aircraft) are few and far between.

He already has a CJ3 type and experience. Go get some experience in a bigger airplane that will garner higher wages down the line. Why is that so difficult for people to understand? Does he not want to earn more money in the future?

Like someone else said, it would be an investment in his future (even if he has to fly with weird pilots for awhile). Look, if he doesn't take the CL300 job I'll gladly apply for it.

Latest resources

Back