Help! How do I get the Interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cjscinta

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can get someone to call me for an interview?

My times are by no means High (2300/350), but don't you think it is enough to at least get an interview? How are all the people with a lot less time than me getting interviews? or jobs? Is the only way to get a job in current times is to have your best buddy walk your resume in for you? I fax resumes to the ones that seem to be hiring i.e. ASA, ACA, Comair, etc. on a monthly basis and have never gotten a response. Then I read about all these people with less time getting calls. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for them, I just can't understand what I may be doing wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated or If someone would be willing to walk my resume in, that would be greatly appreciated too!

Anyone else in my boat?

Thanks for the help.

New schedul

You need to step up your faxing to once a week. Send your resume via email and snail mail. At that rate, somebody will notice you.

Try going to a job fair. Face time with the hiring people is priceless. Thats how I got my new job at ACA...

I agree with twotter76, job fairs are a fantastic way to get an interview. While I was furloughed last year after sept 11th, i shot out 4 resumes a day and never got a hit. My times were low back then which was a contributing factor. I should have gone to a job fair. Its worth the time and money.

Networking is key, I was talking to an HR person at a job fair and she told me to send resume updates no more than once a month. They will notice you eventually. Please tell me that you have contacts at each airline. That is the key to all of it. If you don't know someone that can walk in your resume you are pretty much stuck with faxing it in. They do remember names, don't piss them off, and get to the airport and start making friends.

Dude, faxing resumes isn't enough. You need to be a detective. Find out who screens the resumes, find out when they do it, find out where they do it, find out what they eat for lunch. Basically do everything you can short of stalking them (you don't want that on your record). Find out what they want to see on your resume, then write yours just like that (I'm not saying lie, I'm saying write it to emphasis the content they want to see).

Then, AFTER YOU'VE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK, you need to somehow make contact with them. An introduction from a fellow pilot or maybe just a good letter of recommendation could do it. I drove to the corporate HQ (several hours away), somehow made it past the secretary and met the person totally unannounced. It worked for me. My buddy tried the same thing, & he couldn't get past the secretary. (Luck is a factor too).

The bottom line is you need to be well educated about the job/company BEFORE you make your move. Then be creative and find a way to present youself (either in person or on paper) to the interview gatekeeper. Make a good impression and the interview is yours.

Good Luck!!

Getting the interview

You might be a little light in the multi column. The large number of available higher-time pilots might be the reason why you haven't been called. You should consider seriously getting your ATP if you don't have it so you can present the best quals possible.

Update, update, update. Send in your resume with a good cover letter. Get an application form and submit it. Update when you add time and/or ratings. Update frequently, but don't be a real pest about it. Probably once a year or so, submit a fresh app and resume. Don't use a form cover letter but tailor it to current happenings in the company. Use good, tightly-written copy. Find out the name of the pilot recruiter and address your cover letter to that person by name.

Some may disagree with this, but I'm from the old school on transmitting resumes. I still believe in using old-fashioned snail mail. Your resume arrives clean and fresh, and ungarbled. That is important because so many companies scan resumes. Somehow, I don't think that H.R. likes unsolicited resume spam clogging their fax machines.

Do have a bud walk in a resume with his/her LOR. But, even that is no guarantee that you will be called.

Good luck with your job search and hang in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back