Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HELP! Delta Connection, ERAU Harvard, So they Say!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Take for instance a furloughed pilot at NWA. Once you lost your job, if you had a degree in something other than flying, say engineering, you could get a good job. HEck you could even get an engineering management position at NWA. Then when they called you back, you can defer until you make the same pay rate or better. It's a win win situation, and ERAU, DCA = losers.

Im not so sure its that easy to just jump into an engineering job.

Engineering jobs are boring... I designed bolts for helicopter rotors...couldn't stand it! I mean serioulsy way too boring and uneventful. However pay was good. It was a good way to pay for all my certs

you didn't really say "peer institutions" between ERAU and Harvard did you?!?!?

To clarify: by "peer institutions" I meant other similar private institutions in terms of size and ranking/quality. So, no I had not meant to imply Harvard and Riddle were on the same level. What I am saying is that if you were to compare ERAU to a similar priavte school (say for example stetson university, to use a local example) it is actually cheaper in many cases.

I do agree with you ,there is it cheaper than other private schools. And not to defend ERAU ,because ther isn't a day goes by that I hadn't wished I went to a real college, but those of you who bitch about your 100K in student loans ..why the hell did you go to a private school in the first place?? I mean seriously, if you had to do the whole deal on loans why didn't you plan ahead and get an idea of you monthly loan payments on an education that cost more than a comprobale degree from say UND??

It's really quite simple. Get a normal education and degree, get a normal job, build your ratings through time, while EARNING a normal wage, and then if you are crazy enough to still have aspirations in the airline world, you have that choice! Very simple. Nothing like diversification! Never place all your apples in one basket.

Heck, if I got furloughed next week, I could go back to teaching High School again, only because my previous qualifications give me the option. Having said that, flying around in an RJ is a heck of a lot more pleasant than riding shotgun trying to control a class of mean teenagers!

Don't ever get into this industry without a back door escape plan. It's all down to the volatility of this profession, not to mention that the possibility always hangs over your head that you may get "canned" due to medical, airman proficiency, certification, or a myriad of other likely problems that infest the careers of airline pilots.

You have to work at it, but if you can live with all the above, then go for it. You can do it, just think carefully and plan methodically. Don't listen to the sales banter of those so-called "professional" airline pilot factories without a well thought out "road map" which gives you more career options.

Good luck.

Last edited:
you know..I am no expert in anything but I do know this the airlines don't care when, and where you got your training...what they care about is how and why. A pilot can go to ERAU...or not...what determines if you get hired or not is attitude and connections. The right attitude, with the right connections will get you your dream job. There are a million ways to get to the top...but one thing I have always noted is how envious pilots are. Pilots are very quick to judge and discredit certain places more out of envy than anything else. Just because a person went to ERAU, DCA, UND, whatever...does not guarantee anything. Just like all of those people that get a 737 type then don't get hired at SWA and become SWA haters...like they are entitled to the job because they got the type. Just like many ex-riddlers that feel they are entitled to a 777 job just because they went there. It's all attitude...the right attitude with the right education will get you results in any field. Majors ask where you did your training...and it makes a difference...but like anything else a bad attitude with a Riddle degree will get turned down just like a bad attitude without a college degree. There are success stories everywhere...but bad attitudes are all over this industry and you can't mask that with type ratings, PHDs, flight time, etc...Majors hire people not pilots. To make a long story short...if you find yourself bitching at the industry...complaining about everything...and getting turned down even though you were qualified...then it's time for a reality check. It's not Riddle's fault...DCA's fault, Flightsafety's fault or (insert airline's name) fault. It's your fault...attitude turns away more people from their dreamjobs than anything else. Most forget that when you walk into an interview, they could care less what your experience is...all they care about is you as a person.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back