Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HELP! Delta Connection, ERAU Harvard, So they Say!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point on ROI. Also, it is smart to diversify your education because if something were to happen you could rely on your degree and skip working at a lower-level job.
I think I would rather fly a plane on the weekend and do another job at times.

As an ERAU grad I will tell you it was a waste of time and money. Not to mention you will miss out on the most important things in life...a good time, women and well, I did party a lot there. Go get a degree in something else. Thank goodness I couldnt find a job flying after college or id still be in debt. I worked construction to pay off my loans. Got a Glorious airline job and went back in debt..trying to live the lifestyle I had while not flying, and now I finally have a good paying job and Im working off debt again. This time my back only hurts from going to the gym. Oh forgot to mention, The degree made it easier, in my opinion, to get the airline job(low pay), However I was mocked by the high paying job. However, it makes for a good "if you could have done something differently in your career" answer.

Last edited:
Went to DCA and it totally blew chunks! It's my own fault for going there because I did no research and got swindled by their marketing. They do a great job telling people the bright side to an airline career in the regionals. I'm not in much debt as about 90% of the people who go there. I used some stocks and money left to me to pay for about 85% of the training. The planes are as old as a 1970's funk album and the management is a joke. I got a job now but if I had to do it over all again, I would research. Also get yourself a 4 year degree non-avaition related. If I ever get furloughed at least I have something else to offer.

It's not really a school. When you graduate, you leave without a degree or diploma. All you really have are your ratings, your debt, and if you're lucky, a 20k/year job.

Sounds like dropping out of high school...except the ratings part...

Actually ERAU is a whole lot cheaper than Harvard. Compared to similar private schools, its actully on the low side. ERAU is only about $25,000/yr for tuition room and board (not counting flying) and alot of other private schools (including harvard) are well over $40,000/yr. (ex: University of Miami is around $45K) So even if you were to tack on another $10K for flying, its still considerably cheaper than peer institutions. Having said this, learning to fly and getting into this industry at all is a ripoff if you look at ROI. Any way you slice it, getting into this industry is both a poor decision and a bad deal. At least with a "brand name" degree you have options if you come to your senses and decide to get out of aviation.

Why would you go to ERAU except to fly? I can think of better places to get an A&P or engineering degree. And 10k for flying, get your private your freshman yr, intrument during soph, comm single jr, and comm mulit your sr yr. woohoo, 4 yrs to get 250 hrs.

Stay at home and get your ratings from the local FBO. Or, go to the college of your choice and get your ratings there. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and you'll appreciate it much more. Myself, I already had a degree and worked a full-time job, and I was a CFI within 14 months of my first lesson. Upped that to CFII/MEI within six months after that. So it can be done. There is no reason to go to the factories, other than a burning desire to burn all the money you have and a sh*tload of money you don't have. Your choice.

Actually do your research ERAU’s Aerospace Engineering Program has been #1 for the last 7 years. However, Daytona suxs and I must say the guys complain about a lack of women, geez there are a enough nerds and dumb ass pilot wannabe’s to drive any sane self respecting woman up the wall. Not to mention the school’s 30% gay male population and it’s a shame they were the hot smart ones. The education there was great and very through but if you can’t afford it then it’s not worth putting yourself in debt over. I hear Aero Sci is pricey, I have an AE degree and got into flying because of my pilot friends. (Thanks guys, I could make 3X as much but you got me addicted) The point is get a degree any degree but preferable a useful one. Then if you still want to fly go for it. I’d stay away form the pilot mills they rush you through too soon and lack practical experience especially with that part 142 BS. I flew with a guy who went to RAA besides hearing horror stories this guy is a CFI and never called flight watch and had 10 hours PIC X-C in a real plane, what the hell!!

Take for instance a furloughed pilot at NWA. Once you lost your job, if you had a degree in something other than flying, say engineering, you could get a good job. HEck you could even get an engineering management position at NWA. Then when they called you back, you can defer until you make the same pay rate or better. It's a win win situation, and ERAU, DCA = losers.

Latest resources

Back