• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help deciding what plane to get if any!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a new student, only 10 hours or so. I am currently renting a tired c172 with 180hp conversion that is only 100 hrs from time to rebuild. I can rent it for 105 an hour wet.

Anyway i really want to get into a 6 person plane for short trips IE less then 300 miles or so. I have been looking at either an older bonanza or slightly newer saratoga around the 250k range.

however for now i want to finish my private ticket and get 150 + hours so im stuck with what to do. my options are as follows

1- keep renting for 150 hours cost will be 16-17k
2- buy a 172 for 40-50k and put the 150 hours on it then sell it.
3- buy a charokee 6 260 or 300. i figure this would be the best option to move up to the saratoga as i would already be up on flying that machine but at a lower cost in fuel for training ect. I think i can find one around the 80-100k mark

If i went with the charokee 6 i could keep it for a few years and although a little slower its payload is similar for what i want long term.

I have probably around 50k or so cash right now and could finance another 50 if needed.

Any help is appreciated. Also it would be great if i could find something to finish my licence with, im not sure the 6 would work for this or not? obviously the 172 would!!

Buy a Cessna 150/152 (Low purchase price, low fuel burn, maint, etc.), fly the paint off of it. Once you get your license and big chunk of time, sell it and upgrade.

I agree. A Cessna 150 is a great airplane for building time. You can buy one for less than 20G, and they are much cheaper to operate. Get some hours in it, then sell it for an upgrade. I wouldn't waste money on an expensive airplane when I was just starting. You have to keep in mind more than just the purchase price. Think about fuel burn, insurance, maintenance when you decide how much of an aircraft to buy.

The 150 or 152 isnt really on the table right now. i live in utah at 5600 feet with density altitudes regularly in the 8500 range. I need at least a 160-180 horsepower 172 to be able to carry anymore then just me at this altitude in the mountains we live in.

I am really leaning towards the cherokee 6 as the fuel burn is only 11 gph, only 30k more hten a 172 and would carry over 600lbs more thne the 172 for when i wanted to carry 3 or 4 people

have any of you used this for a trainer/first plane?

I'd say stick with the 172 for purchase if thats the plan. a Cherokee 6 or Saratoga will cost a lot to insure, burn a lot of gas , and are more airplane than you are ready for without more experience.

at what point would mostpilots be ready for a cherokee 6? perhaps the best option is to rent for 50-75 hours then buy a 6 then move up to a saratoga after another few hundred hours?

for a new student pilot, you shouldn't even consider a high performance aircraft. I think a C172 with the Penn Yan 180hp conversion would be great.

It seems to me like you really need turbocharging, especially if you intend to load up the plane as you say. A Cessna T206 might just be your perfect fit. Roomy and big payload to match. Bonanzas are great planes, but nowhere near the room. If you get a Bo, consider one with a Tornado Alley conversion (or just get a B36TC for $$$). You won't be happy with an old Cherokee 6 with the Hershey bar wing at your elevations/DA. I see your big stumbling block as insurance; they don't like 6-seaters anyway, and inexperience just fans those flames. It's not difficult to fly a Six/Bonanza/C206; they ARE a bit different when you load them up. You just have to be aware of that, lest you land short/hard; power-off is not the normal landing in one of these, unless you're really sharp in the A/C.

Get some ideas of how bad the insurance companies will hurt you before you start shopping ! Good luck.

Oh, yeah, don't be in a big hurry to pile your whole family in the plane & go somewhere. Get comfortable with your new rating and keep practicing. The first 100 hours in any new aircraft are by far the most dangerous - there's plenty of data to back that up !

Last edited:
Why not find a C-152 with the 150 hp conversion? They do pretty well at higher density altitudes, and you can get one to build time in for less than $30,000...Build time in it, get experience (the most important thing in this discussion), and then sell it and make intelligent decisions about your next aircraft...

You NEVER want to be in an airplane with your family, flying into uncertain weather, with high terrain nearby, asking yourself : "was that radial 'to' or was it 'from'".

It sounds like you've already decided on a six seat aircraft...Candidly, just fly as much as possible and really figure out what it's all about before making decisions. Perhaps there is a flying club in your area where you could get discounted rentals...

Latest resources

Back