Help an (AA) brotha' out...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UAL78 said:
BTW more people have been boned by the nuances of the PBS in the early phase than in a 2 dollar cathouse.

Yep, I was at HP when PBS went live... Hilarity ensued. Seemed that a high percentage of very junior reserve guys (with a high motivation to excel) got some great lines the first few months before everyone came up to speed on the system. It built some super atrocious lines too - it does what you tell it.

And.. used up all of the open time. Very efficient, so less pilots needed.

Tough choice: The company of course wants to be efficient. The pilots union doesn't want to be as efficient (except APA, they will rollover) so more jobs are protected. Save the company or the pilots?

This will all be foreign to WN guys as I understand they get paid a premium for picking up open time. Nothing new and it works for them - the company is flourishing.

Last edited:
Anyone who chooses the premium flying is a scab, no more no less.

As for me, 80+ hours EVERY month as the bottom reserve guy and usually timing out around the 25th.

I hope the APA tells' em to shove it like they did last time. That must have been the first time I've ever seen the APA stand up for its pilots.

I sent the union a "sound off" asking about people flying extra trips for extra pay. I sent it back in March. Guess what the response was?

I big nothing.

Hopefully , since then, they have addressed this and made it clear to our fellow union "brothers" that those who fly extra time while fellow "brothers" are furloughed are just one step above scabs.

I stopped getting union emails, so I don't know if they have addressed this problem.

If APA has come out publicly against this, then good on them. If they haven't said anything then I guess you can tell what they think of their furloughees.

Thanks

CLAMBAKE

Clambake--Generally unions turn a blind eye to people picking up extra time with people on furlough. If it's in the contract, union leadership has a tough time telling people not to do it.

During GW (round 1) there were more than a few senior TWA people picking up time with guys on the street. Most were shamed out of it but some never quit. The power of "I've got mine, you'll get yours" is strong in some. :mad:

Hope things are going well.TC

P.S.--Has your wife had enough of "Guard Pat"? ;)

I hope the union and the pilot group are trying to shame pilots, TWA or AA, into not picking up trips.

It seems to me that if the company can't fill trips they would have to recall. Every trip that is picked up is one more reason not to recall.

You hear it quiet a bit from people, "I was furlughed once, so all you're doing is paying your dues!!!" (Make sure you say that in a deep, powerfull voice)

Things are going well. I'm flying at the Guard alot so I have plenty opportunities for my alter ego to come out. Thanks for asking.

CLAMBAKE

Last edited:
Pkober,

That is the biggest bunch of BS, anyone that tells you "you are paying your dues" is an A$$. Flying at the commuters, serving in ANG, sitting on the panel as a switch b1tch are forms of paying dues, getting furloughed is not.

I have been there a few times, luckily they were during times when you could be in class at another airline in a week or two. Getting furloughed today is like going through a nasty divorce, you don't even wish it upon your enemies.

Hope you are back soon.

AA

AAFlyer,

I don't agree with people when they say that either. You would expect people who have been furloughed to have a different attitude.

Unfortunately, there is alot of "I got mine!".

Peace, out

CLAMBAKE

>>P.S. AA made money last quarter, and we have guys on furlough, so there goes that theory,<<

Actually I think they made money BECAUSE they furloughed not in spite of it.

My "theory" was about productivity, not profits. My comment wasn't even addressed to you, it was to the guy vowing to call in sick once he gets recalled. The carriers who get productive use out of their employees can hire and upgrade more of them. The carriers who's employees see the goal as getting as many people on the property doing as little as possible will continue to furlough and downgrade.

Yes AMR made money last quarter, but really a pittance compared to the amount of capital investors have at work there. Nevertheless, compared to the bloodletting at Delta and NWA the results were amazing. I think that is a tribute to the early and aggressive efforts to turn things around and avoid BK.

I intend to call in sick when I get recalled. But only for the 68 hours I have left in my sick bank... ;) TC

Hell you don't have to pick up time to go from a line 75 to 83+. Just waiting for a gate this summer at Big D has given me several hours.

Don't condemn purely by time. I have not picked up a trip in years, and I think it's less frequent than many think. Actually I'm trying to drop, but of course our high-priced TTOT system is saying "NO WAY..."

HISEQ

Red
Red
Red
Red
Red
Red
Red
Redder
Still Red
Don't even bother

Latest resources