Helo IFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

trol1374

If one has an IFR rating for a fixed wing, what kind of requirements must be done for IFR in rotor craft? (assume one has rotor craft endorsement). Or other way around IFR in rotor and wants IFR in fixed wing? IE: written, checkride, hours dual. Same question for commercial

I may get the chance that my employer will train me for the helicoptor rating and it will be all the way thru IFR to commercial. Already have a fixed wing PPL. I am paying my way now for the fixed wing IFR training and was wondering if I should stop, if get the new position.

Thanks,

Last edited:
If you're instrument rated in airplanes, you do not need to take another written test.

In addition, you are only required to have 15 hours of dual instrument time in helicopters to go for the checkride, which should be enough, if you're already current in airplanes.

Also, you need a cross country flight that is conducted under IFR and is 100 nm with an approach at each airport and three different kinds of approaches.

My advice is to finish the instrument rating in the airplane, then do it in the helicopter. Get some actual instrument time in the airplane if you can, it is worlds different from being under the hood. Once you can do it in the airplane, doing it in the helicopter isn't hard, assuming you can fly a helicopter. :)

If your employer is going to apy for everything to get a Comm. RW-Helicopter with Instrument rating, let him spend the money and go back and get an airplane Comm. & Instrument certificate on your dime. It's a lot cheaper. I do a few Airplane to Helicopter rides and visa versa. Helicopter to Airplane Comm and Instrument seem to go a little better. Better situational awareness.

In reference to Rotary to fixed wing...

There's a distinct possibility I'm going to WOCS/IERW next year (packet made it through NGB/DA/Rucker, just have my local board in Jan...this for ARNG, BTW). Talking with guys who made it through flight school, they told me you can take the FAA test and get your private/comm/instrument for rotorcraft when you finish up. Seeing as I don't have a fixed wing FAA license or anything, what would be the requirements to obtain the fixed wing endorsement when I get the rotorcraft one? Would it still be the 40 hr minimum, or are the time requirements reduced?

I know it's kind of strange...most people do rotory after they have their fixed time. I looked at the FARs online and couldn't find it. Maybe someone who's more familiar knows off the top of their head.

Thanks a bunch.

Brooks K.

bkranich said:
There's a distinct possibility I'm going to WOCS/IERW next year (packet made it through NGB/DA/Rucker, just have my local board in Jan...this for ARNG, BTW). Talking with guys who made it through flight school, they told me you can take the FAA test and get your private/comm/instrument for rotorcraft when you finish up. Seeing as I don't have a fixed wing FAA license or anything, what would be the requirements to obtain the fixed wing endorsement when I get the rotorcraft one? Would it still be the 40 hr minimum, or are the time requirements reduced?

I know it's kind of strange...most people do rotory after they have their fixed time. I looked at the FARs online and couldn't find it. Maybe someone who's more familiar knows off the top of their head.

Thanks a bunch.

Brooks K.

I've got a short overnight but I'll PM you tomorrow with some clear answers. It's not as difficult as you might think.

bkranich said:
I looked at the FARs online and couldn't find it. Maybe someone who's more familiar knows off the top of their head.
FAR 61.129 Commercial Pilot Aeronautical Experience. I'm sure you just overlooked it. Unless you just want Private Pilot priveliges added, sice you mentioned 40 hours, which would be 61.109 Private Pilot Aeronautical Experience. You will note the 40 hours is total time, and then it says 20 hours dual in an airplane and 10 hours solo in an airplane.

Do the same research under 61.129 for Commercial Pilot (which is what you will have from the Army training), and you see a total time of 250 hours of which 50 must be PIC time in an airplane.

bkranich said:

Thanks a bunch.

Brooks K.

We've got guys in our unit looking at doing that. The private add on is easy. about 15 hours or so and you are done. Then you can add on commercial by getting your 50 hours in airplanes, and your complex time, and a few other requirements (certain cross country flights, etc.) I suggest getting your comm/inst/helo at rucker, (a $60,000 rating will cost you $125.00 plus it's all turbine helo time!!). Then do your private add on and start building f/w time.

Well, I just got word I got the assignment. My employer will teach me to fly Helo's and to get the commericial ticket (no IFR), all while getting a paycheck.

I am half way through my IFR ticket for the fixed wing. I have been paying on my own. Since I need to do the transition, I'm trying to decide if I should continue trying to get the IFR ticket during the time I'm training for the Helo. My thoughts now are to stop. 99 percent of my flying fixed wing is for the fun and scenery. Now I get to do the Helo thing, my fixed time will be dropping.

No, I say finish it. Instruments are instruments, helo or fixed wing. When you get it fixed wing, it will make the helo rating that much easier...plus it will make you a better all around pilot for when you are doing your helo training.

How about those comments from those that say going from fixed wing to Helo ? You don't think doing both can cause problems?

Latest resources

Back