• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hello, could I get some advise?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anything that gets you up in the air (just about), and provides you opportunities to meet and network with pilots and others in aviation would be beneficial. Just don't neglect your studies.

But it is essential to get that 4-year degree!!!!! It will be extremely difficult to get to the majors without it. I think you said you were planning on Honolulu CC. Find a way to get that BA/BS degree. An AA degree isn't going to cut it. Not only it is important for getting to the majors, it provides an important fallback. You never know when you could lose your 1st Class Medical. And if indeed you have a nice, long career in aviation, that nice long career will likely be punctuated by a nice long furlough at some point too!

Gotcha covered

Hey there...

I got it covered, my plan is to get a degree in Geology as well, and I might do some plant biology studies too, so if an aviaton career were to fail at some point, I can always fall back on studying Hawaiian volcanoes (Which I've loved doing since I was a keiki), and if not i can always do a flower plantation, LOL!

HCC does offer the 2 year, AS degree....but hopefully a double degree will look good enough for the major airlines.

That would be an AS in Geology and an AS in Commerical aviation, with a possible minor in plant biology.

Would that be enough, or should I scrap it and go for a single 4 year degree?

Again, I'm very flexible, I'll do whatever i need to do to make this happen! :D

Unknown. Maybe some of the guys/gals in the majors can chime in on that one. Most of the hires at that level have the 4-year degree. Might be the safer bet.

You NEED the 4 yr BS/BA degree. Associates is fine for the regionals, but the BS/BA has become standard at the majors. You can do all of your flight training while going to a 4 yr school. In college, I budgeted my training as if it were a second major...time, money, patience and creativity will get you where you want to be.

Can't say it enough...gotta have that 4 yr degree for the majors. If there's another huge hiring boom in the future, that standard might loosen up...or if you're in tight with people in high places. For the rest of us, though, college is a necessity.

good luck with your training!

Checked and replied!

Hey,

I checked it and replied, check yours. ;)

For everyone else:

HCC is the only college in Hawaii at this time to offer an aviation program, so if I do want a degree in an aviation field this is my only choice without having to go to the mainland.

However, if I must obtain a 4 year degree, I could complete the program at HCC, and then enroll at U of H at Hilo, on the Big Island, and take a 4-year geology course instead of the 2-year one at HCC.

Perhaps that would be good enough for the majors.

But, if I cant afford it in the long run, I guess I'll have to see how far the HCC AS degree gets me, and if it never gets me beyond Island Air, I'll still be happy. ;)

Any thoughts?

That's the right attitude. You'll do well in this business. Just remember, the airlines don't require an aviation related degree...just a degree. Could be music theory, geology, english, engineering....whatever interests you. It's important to have a feasible backup.

I would recommend going right into a 4 year program, while actively flying at the local FBO to get your ratings. If you plan it right, you can easily have 1000TT before you graduate. My parents got me my first flight as a present for high school graduation and I was hired by my first regional a month before I graduated college. It's definitely something that can and has been done.

Good luck!

Re: Checked and replied!

You must have a 4 year degree to get to a major airline. There are plenty of guys out there with thousands of hours of experience and every rating in the book who cannot get to the majors because of a lack of a BACHELOR degree.

If you can be happy at a different level then it's not a problem. But if your goal is to make it to the top of the commercial payscales that's the ticket.

Of course there are lots of other flying jobs you can get that are pretty exciting. Lots of them don't require a degree. But, many of them amount to slave labor so you better love the job cuz you'll be scrapin to keep it financially.

Hawaiian 767 said:
Hey,

I checked it and replied, check yours. ;)

For everyone else:

HCC is the only college in Hawaii at this time to offer an aviation program, so if I do want a degree in an aviation field this is my only choice without having to go to the mainland.

However, if I must obtain a 4 year degree, I could complete the program at HCC, and then enroll at U of H at Hilo, on the Big Island, and take a 4-year geology course instead of the 2-year one at HCC.

Perhaps that would be good enough for the majors.

But, if I cant afford it in the long run, I guess I'll have to see how far the HCC AS degree gets me, and if it never gets me beyond Island Air, I'll still be happy. ;)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
......or you can just buy a diploma on the internet. Kinda like PFT only PFD, (pay for diploma).:D

Anybody else sick of the junk mail from that mail order diploma mill?

Hal767,

There is plenty of time to do all that you want to accomplish. First get started in HCC, say hello to my cuz, the prez, then visit the HNL INTL Airport, take the Nimitz Rd towards Waikiki then take the frontage road, turning right to Lagoon Dr. You will drive pass 10 cul-da-sac's from Iolana Place all the way down to Palekona. There you will find the Air Freight Services Ramp as well as a number of Flight Schools and FBOs that will help you get your ratings/cert's. While attending HCC start flight instructing, not forgeting to count your blessings once a day. I would say get your private stateside then work on your comm/inst/CFI in Hawaii since thats were you intend on hanging your shingle. That way, you'll get use to the ever changing WX and winds. Did I mention the wind. Howling at times, but fun.
Your one lucky person with a plan that puts you in paradise to train for the best job in the world.
Hopefully, FreightDog will jump in with some advice on IslandAir. But most likely the brada is relaxing afta surfing all day. I'm still bust up over that one, FD!

Aloha for now.....8sm

Latest resources

Back