Heavy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SELCAL checks said:
guess you've never shared a freq with a 757-300 then.

OK, my bad... so what should really be said is, most 757-200s are below the 255,000lb MTOW.... and all 757-300s are above it. Correctomundo?

Strangely enough, it's the operator's choice whether a 757 is a "heavy" on the radio or not. Especially odd, considering the reason for the weight class change, but that's the FAA for you. I've worked for companies that called 757's heavy, and those that did not. As far as I know, the 757 is the only exception granted to the rule.

OK, my bad... so what should really be said is, most 757-200s are below the 255,000lb MTOW....

I've flown 757-200s for two airlines, and both had MTOWs of 255.0 or 255.5 (depending on depature field pressue altitude). Both airlines used the 'heavy' call sign in the terminal area. Again, it doesn't matter what your A/C actually weighs in at, it's simply based on the max certified MTOW.

(edit: these are both US airlines that use the FAA 255.0 heavy cutoff, not the ICAO 300.0 cutoff)

Last edited:
SELCAL checks said:
guess you've never shared a freq with a 757-300 then.

Eh, but unless it is on ground freq and I know that the airplane sitting next to me is the one that istalking, I rarely even know what aircraft the guy is flying that is yapping on the radio.

Sa

wmuflyguy said:
Eh, but unless it is on ground freq and I know that the airplane sitting next to me is the one that istalking, I rarely even know what aircraft the guy is flying that is yapping on the radio.

Man sometimes I feel the pride and appreciation of SA is gone. Unless that quote was sarcasm. Then I feel my pride and appreciation of sarcasm is gone. Did I cover my bases?

-VIC

Last edited:
Victor120 said:
Man sometimes I feel the pride and appreciation of SA is gone. Unless that quote was sarcasm. Then I feel my pride and appreciation of sarcasm is gone. Did I cover my bases?

-VIC

No Sarcasm, but maybe you kinda didn't get the intended point

If I check on frequency and I hear "Delta 122 Heavy...." I do not know what type of plane it is, all i know that it is a heavy. It could be a 777, 767, 757(provided ATC hasn't told you). This is assuming you can't see the plane, I guess if you can see it, you can reasonable be able to figure out what type it is.

This was directed at the comment "guess you've never shared a freq with a 757-300 then."

Latest resources

Back