• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

HEAT issues in Military Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The backseat of the F-4 was hotter than hell most of the time, the a/c didn't work below 10,000.

The F-111, on the other hand, was designed for comfort. It had a great air-conditioner that kept the cockpit cool and comfortable no matter how hot it was outside.

Having flown the T-34 for 3 summers in Corpus, I'd have to submit that experience being akin to living in a suburb of hell. Opening the canopy passing 4-5,000 ft in the climb sometimes helped.

Sweating my b@lls off just reading this stuff. Doesn't help that it's still 102 here at the end of Sept.

From my medic days I remember that the armpits and crotch have big vessels running thru them so to cool someone's core temp, place ice packs there. Probably kinda hard to fly with ice packs under the arms so that leaves plan B. Chemical first-aid types work good. I use them after hot weather triathlons to get my core down. Also staying hydrated helps, but you already know that. :)

thanks for all the good tips

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing the info. At least folks can read the thread and take advantage of some options to keep cool. I've learned that this is far more common than I thought and I'm not too macho to get relief from the heat.

64 is HOT

The AH-64A I flew was hotter than Hell is the desert heat of Iraq. If the crew chief(s) cleaned the ECU filter (K&N type) everyday, you might have good air flow. Also the "Air Warrior" body armor cut air flow to our torso's causing uncomfortable flight conditions.

OIF 2.5 Vet

AirWarrior not working

thanks so much for that info. I've never tried Air Warrior and after learning about it thought that the market need had been filled. I was ready to walk away from the concept I tested in theater this last trip. Your comment makes me think I should keep up the research. I just got back to the USA a few hours ago and now I have more access to do additional research. The system I used worked really well, but since 99% of my flights were at night I only got to try it 5 times at temps above 38c. I only would wear it into the night if I started in day light. My flight surgeon thought it was good and helped me with it, but of course going up against Foster-Miller & GE may well be a waste of time, no matter how well my design works. Again thanks for sharing that nugget of info with me. Cheers, Drew

Air Warrior

RESQAV8R,

I did not use the "Micro Cooling Unit" with the Air Warrior. The "A" model Apache has an "adequate" ENCU (Not). At least that's what the PM out of Redstone said. If you us it, you need the cooling pack and battery. More S*it to lug around.

The A/W body armor conforms better to your torso, but still no circulation of air to cool you. The survial vest in better than the Air Save. It was unbelievably hot sometimes in that cockpit.

resqav8r said:
Worse yet, has anyone heard how the guys in HMMVs are dealing?

They suck it up and deal. I was a Gunner on M1A1's in a previous life. 145+ in the turret wearing full nomex including hood with chem suit over that is not uncommon during combat ops. HMMV is a little better since it has windows and no requirement for nomex jammies. Welcome to the suck as they say.

Latest resources

Back