Health Care Lessons Learned--long post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BUMP!!
Albie, how's the recovery coming? Are you able to move about yet? Are you still doing interview prep from the hospital bed? I'm sure there's tons o' folks out there waiting in line to hear your advice.
If you didn't already, I'm sure you will soon have supreme abs - that seems to be the key to maintaining a strong back. Again, good luck, keep smiling, and for Goodness' sake, keep posting! :)

Leroy,

Melissa is actually working with 3 folks on the phone today and tomorrow helping them with some last minute practice for their SWA interviews. (We worked with all these clients previously in other workshops). I don't think they want any of my morphine induced advice right now. However, as mentioned before, its nice to have "something" to sink your teeth into when you cannot fly...good for the body and spirit. I'll be back in the prep business in a couple weeks.

Anyone who has had surgery knows day 2 and 3 are TOUGH. Lots of pain as various drugs wear off and an aching "sore" sets in. However, I knew 5 minutes after I woke up from surgery the "mystery pain" in my legs was gone...so this surgery was the right thing to do.

I cannot help but compare my situation right now to that of Jon Bewley. I'm sore, but I'll be fine. My insurance may have a gap or two, but it for now appears all this stuff will get taken care of. I sent Jon a check the day I got the word from the union, and I plan on making it a regular contribution. I don't know what the cost would be, but I can't help but wonder if we could throw in our disability package for new hires as a point on our next contract. Statistically, I imagine situations like Jon's are very rare, so the cost of covering new hires couldn't be THAT much in the big picture.

One point I forgot to mention in all this has been the aggressive support of the Air National Guard. My Det commander went out of his way to make sure my initial MRIs and other visits were "line of duty", insuring I could get my information and appointments ASAP. Although I never needed a post 9/11 job, the way the unit managed to feed and take care of everyone back then was astounding to me. When I needed help of a different type they were just as solid. For those of you still flying in the ANG or Reserves, we all know there are days when its a lot more work, stress, and aggrevation for a lot less pay. However, "dance with the one that brung ya..." and stick with your unit. When something like this does happen, you will be greatful that you didn't bail out when it got "hard". I've got a long way to go before I think this back is up to 9 Gs, but I'll start making those baby steps and hoping to get back into that before too long.

Albie,

Best of luck, bro. I'll be at Tyndall for 2 weeks in early June. You probably won't be up for it, but maybe I'll see ya at the O'club!

Good words, though. I've been seeing a chiro for my Viper-induced neck pain for a few months, but it ain't working. Maybe an MRI might be the hook. Also jumped with another long time Viper guy last night, and he's having neck surgery next week to repair a bulging disc. His symptons started with numbness in his fingers. He let it go (like alot of us do) and it got worse.

See ya soon, brother.

Hi!

I'm glad to see you UP and around....no pun intended for (C).......

Someone told me Sunday night that you were going to be out and I was shocked!

Glad that you are ok and hoping to see you soon in the AOC.

Keep me on the list for trip trades....I have Reserve and Reserve and Reserve!

And if you are really bored, drop me an email!!

AlbieF15 said:
One point I forgot to mention in all this has been the aggressive support of the Air National Guard. My Det commander went out of his way to make sure my initial MRIs and other visits were "line of duty", insuring I could get my information and appointments ASAP. Although I never needed a post 9/11 job, the way the unit managed to feed and take care of everyone back then was astounding to me. When I needed help of a different type they were just as solid. For those of you still flying in the ANG or Reserves, we all know there are days when its a lot more work, stress, and aggrevation for a lot less pay. However, "dance with the one that brung ya..." and stick with your unit. When something like this does happen, you will be greatful that you didn't bail out when it got "hard". I've got a long way to go before I think this back is up to 9 Gs, but I'll start making those baby steps and hoping to get back into that before too long.

Way to go Albie. And well said. Having a commander with integrity and heart makes all the difference, IMHO. Great commanders, and the good eggs that work for and support them, are heroes.

Glad to here you are progressing. Keep up the good work and I'm praying for your swift and complete healing.

God Bless

FBJ

Albie: Did Dr McAndrew do the surgery? He is the best ortho guy in Mobile from what I've heard and experienced.

Just curious.

Hope you get better soon.

FJ

Dr. Brent Faircloth--at Coastal Neurological. Another highly regarded Internal Medicine/Oncologist in the area is friend, as is high school pal who in an Adult/Child Pyschologist. Both recommended him, and all other pireps were also very good.

When you start getting in back issues, you can usually get Othorpedics or Neurologists for the work. However, with nerve tumors and disorders most I asked recommended this guy and the neurological spin.

I was pleased with all my interactions and meetings with him--very straightforward and down to earth as he explained the operation and ramifications. He also called my wife once an hour while in surgery to keep her informed of my status (which she very much appreciated). Unless an X-ray shows a leftover set of pliers in my back I have to say I was pretty happy with the whole treatment. I'd highly recommend anyone with back issues to consult with him for possible treatment or at least a good second opinion.

Latest resources

Back