Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captmolina

I am a student pilot and have been looking for a new headset to buy. What do you all recommend and which ones do you own? I have been looking at the Sigtronics S-45, Pilot PA 12.8, PA 21-60 and Avcomm AC454. I am willing to pay up to $200. I really appreciate any opinions. Thank you!

Thanks and Happy Flying,
Gabriel Molina

I dont know much about sigtronics or the others you mention, but i would recommend david clarks. The way to look at this is....you are going to have theses for the rest of your flying....whether you make a career out of it or not.

I know money is probably tight, but you dont want to skimp on a headset. I know david clark has great headsets and they will even fix them up for you after you have had them for a while and they are a little beat. (last i remeber..)

David clarks not the only company out there...do some research try on different pairs if you have the chance...maybe some of the other folks can jump in and give their opinion..

hope this helps,

1900cpt

I agree with 1900 cpt. You should get a headset that will meet your flying needs. How much flying do you plan on doing after you get your private. If you are going to be flying only every now and then (just enough to stay currentfor passengers), then you could survive with a $200 headset. If you are going to do a good deal of flying, then i would definitely get a David Clark. I paid $285 for a dc 13.4. It has been great and reliable over the past 2 1/2 years.

Ya I agree with the previous posts... when i was a student I did exactly what it looks like you're doing - I set a $200 price limit and wound up with a Telex set that felt more like a clamp on my head than a headset. After I started doing long cross countries I found that the uncomfortable headset was actually giving me a headache. Subsequently, I went out and bought some David Clark H20-10s for a little over $300. Let me tell you that extra $100 and change is definately worth it. Even though I only fly once every 2-3 weeks, I can tell you that buying a "cheap" headset was a terrible mistake, and not to mention that I am enjoying flights with the new DCs more that ever (I can actually fly several hours straight now without a migraine!). Your comfort and especially your hearing is invaluable in aviation so don't compromise it and end up paying twice of what you have to like I did. Good luck!
Max

I have DC's and my girlfriend has a pair of Avcomm's. She complains of her head hurting after a short while of wearing them. After she tried mine, (David Clark 13.4's also) she was going to save up and buy a pair of 'em. I think that they are worth their weight in gold.

GO FOR THE DC'S

I would reccomend going with the David Clarks like most everyone else said on this board. I have had mine for over 3 years and love them. I have the 13.4's and they are one of the most comfortable headsets I have ever worn. They can also take a good beating and not get broke. In my case I am in different airplanes almost everyday of the month flying 80hrs and 20+ days a month and they do get banged around a lot. Not that I would intentionaly go out and beat on them, it just happens. I recieved a free pair of the new Bose Headsets which cost around $1000 and they are as comfortabe and quiter then the DC's but they do not hold up like the DC's do. After only a couple of months of constant use the cheap plastic broke and since I didn't buy them from Bose but got them from someone else they wouldn't honor the waranty and I have to pay to have them fixed. I haven't had to have my DC's fixed yet, but from other people I have heard that even after the waranty is expired they will fix them for free, and replace worn out ear seals, mic covers, ect. I would suggest going with the David Clarks, probly the H10-13.4 or H20-10. Good luck to you.

David Clarks

I'll join the majority. I have some David Clark H10-30s. Terrific equipment. Extremely rugged and wear like iron. I used them on every flight for six years. I didn't have headsets for the first five years I was flying. Stupid.

You might consider the noise-canceling mike version, which may still be H10-40s.

Piece of advice: Do plenty of shopping for headsets. You can go to an FBO to look at them, but don't buy them there. You'll pay retail. Same thing if you purchase from Sporty's. You'll get a better deal from someplace like Marv Golden, www.marvgolden.com, or Chief Aircraft Parts in Grants Pass, Oregon, www.chiefaircraft.com. I bought mine there 14 years ago.

I like the AV-Comms myself, I have had mine for a little while and I love them, after about two hours they are just as comfertable as they were in the begining. You have to adjust them properlly though.

You might also want to consider the Lightspeed QFR the passive ones. I have heard that in the 152s, and such they are actually quieter than the Lightspeed active ones.

Another view

I have the dissenting view here: Saying that one brand or model of headset is more comfortable than another is like saying that you should wear a particular kind of shoe, underwear, or whatever. IOW, what's comfortable for me might be unbearably painful for you. And vice versa. And even if the item is top quality and well made -- like a David Clark headset.

I've been flying for 20 years, and I have never, EVER been able to get comfortable with ANY DC headset. Not even the 13.4s with the soft headband and ear cushions. I'm sorry, but I just can't stand Clarks, no matter how well built they are or how good their service is. I just think they're overrated because of some kind of herd mentality. Also, I've found that their audio quality isn't that good when used with other kinds of headsets on the same intercom.

I've used the Lightspeed 20K for over 2 years now and it is superb. Audio quality, both transmitting and receiving, is as good as or better than any Clark, Telex or Bose I've ever used. I can actually forget I'm wearing them, and I've never been able to say that about any other over-the-ear headset.

Final suggestion: Try before you buy, and make sure that you can return it after a reasonable trial period (in good condition with all packaging, of course).

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back