• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCAPT

Livin' the...dream?
Hi all,

I'm stepping up from a turbo-prop to long haul air cargo (Gemini MD11). I was wondering what you guys use for headsets. I'm assuming that my Dave Clark will be overkill! I found a thread that mentioned some other things to carry, but I didn't find anything about headsets. ANY info will be appreciated.

Congrats! Try Telex 5x5 pro with custom molded earpiece. I think Plantronics make a very similar unit for less $. Best of luck in the new job!

I use an ANR from Sennheiser, since the B747 front end is pretty loud the noise reduction was worth the money. I don't think the MD11 is as loud up front so I would wait and see what the Gemini folks are using. And yes the Dave/Clarks would be overkill. Mine has not left the house since I quite flying Metro IIA's.

Congrats on your new position.

In the DC 10 we use Telex's, and take them off at 18k. Its extraordinarily quiet. If anything the MD is even more quiet.

You might want to check if your company provides headsets before you buy one.

capt_zman said:
Lucky fags don't have to wear headsets, jeez, fly a real airplane will you?????

I'm looking for an earlier training date. Can I send yet another Email?

ATRCAPT said:
Hi all,

I'm stepping up from a turbo-prop to long haul air cargo (Gemini MD11). I was wondering what you guys use for headsets. I'm assuming that my Dave Clark will be overkill! I found a thread that mentioned some other things to carry, but I didn't find anything about headsets. ANY info will be appreciated.

I use the telex 750. I used it at my previous job. Didn't want to buy another headset. Some guys use the single side headset, some don't. Some use the noise canceling variety. I have seen all kinds. No one wears the DCs. I think you will be surprised how quiet the electric jet is.

Just ask when you are indoc........

Welcome aboard.........

T-Gates said:
YOUR GONNA HAVE TO SPEAK UP! THE 727 IS VERY LOUD!

Once you lose 50% of your hearing, the cockpit noise won't bother you anymore.

Once you lose 50% of your hearing, the cockpit noise won't bother you anymore.

Latest resources

Back