Votes: 25 10.2%
  • telex 500

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • bose X

Votes: 53 21.6%
  • DC or similar ANR's

Votes: 17 6.9%

• Total voters
I've used the Telex 750, Plantronics w/ custom ear mold, and the Sennies 25 in the CRJ. At high cruise altitude either one is fine and just a matter of comfort. It's at the lower altitudes at high indicated airspeed that the cockpit gets noisy from wind noise if you are using the 750s or ear bud. Of the three headsets, i'm using the Sennies right now because they are the quietest. The downside is that they can get uncomfortable after a long day with a few long legs, and they can still give you headset head, though not as bad as DCs. I usually take the headset off above FL180 on flights longer than an hour to hour and a half and it works out great. Every once in a while i'll mix it up and use my 750s or the ear bud for a trip though.

I recommend the Sennheiser 25 for the CRJ as they work very well and make the cockpit very quiet and are still effective without the ANR in case the batteries die in the middle of a flight. If you do deciede to get them, get on the ALPA site and use their discount. It's not a huge discount, but you can take up to a year to pay them off with 0% financing.

You left out the Telex 850

Works great in a CRJ, from what I've heard, not enough ANR for an ERJ though.

Best part, you never have to worry about the batteries.

I'll second the vote for the Telex 850. Pretty good noise cancellation, NO BATTERIES, and small. They fit easily in your flight bag and are much more comfortable than the 750's. They weigh about the same but have leather padded earphones to better seal for the ANR and cusion your ear. Works great in the Avro and CRJ.

CubanSmoker said:
I'll second the vote for the Telex 850. Pretty good noise cancellation, NO BATTERIES, and small. They fit easily in your flight bag and are much more comfortable than the 750's. They weigh about the same but have leather padded earphones to better seal for the ANR and cusion your ear. Works great in the Avro and CRJ.

Anyone care to compare the sennheiser hmec 45 and the telex 850?

I'm a headset dork

I'd go with the Sennheiser 25KAs. The 850s 12db of ANR doesnt do anything in my opinion, especially at the lower altitudes when youre above 250 kts. Also, the volume controls on the RJ still have to be at max volume in those situations. I did use the 850s for an entire month, but sent them back for the Senns. Senns provide about 30db of total ANR, which incidentally is the same or better than most of the David Clamps out there.
If you call Marv and tell him you work for an ALPA regional, theyll give you the discount anyways.

As for the 45s vs the 850s, I think they have about the same ANR value, so I'd go with whichever one fit better. The 45s have bigger ear cushions than the 850s and a wider headband.

I use the old DC 13.4's provided by the company. They aren't the most comfortable thing in the world, but they are free. I have better things to spend my money on than headsets. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back