• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Headsets and the Turboprop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DO NOT buy the light speeds. I bought a pair and spent more time getting repaired than actually used. When they are working they are great. I ended up returning them and getting my money back. Back to David Clamps, hope to have the cash soon to buy a good pair of ANR like the BOSE.

I don't fly turboprops, so my opinion may not be too valid, but for three years before becoming a CFI, I flew with David Clarks. They were ENC, and worked pretty well, but after about an hour or two of flying, my head would have several sore points, and I'd get headaches and couldn't wait to land. I got the Bose from my folks as a Birthday/becoming a CFI gift a few months back, and even after 4 hours of flying with students, I feel no discomfort. No headaches, and their noise cancelling is a top notch product.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, try the Telex 3500. It looks like a DC, but sounds twice as good and feels four times better. I have honestly not had a day that they have gotten uncomfortable. I think they're still around 300, but it beats spending a grand. I've thought about switching to the 5x5, but these things have enough passive noise reduction to be worthwhile. My .02

I'm leaning towards the Telex 850 ANR's. Marv Golden has them at the best price. They don't require batteries which is nice. Anyone using them?

I was going to go with the Telex 5x5's. They are priced great and I hear they are super comfortable but I don't think that the molded earpiece in one ear and a plug in the other would be enough protection in the ATR.

I have used the telex 5x5 and the 750. Both work great in the ATR. I did find that swaping seats with the 5x5 to be odd since the earpiece fits in your ear. If you use an ear plug in the other ear it is really quiet.

flylowman said:
I have used the telex 5x5 and the 750. Both work great in the ATR. I did find that swaping seats with the 5x5 to be odd since the earpiece fits in your ear. If you use an ear plug in the other ear it is really quiet.

Thanks, that is the info on the 5x5 that I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the molded ear piece would block out enough noise on that side.

I wear a sony in the dash. Its a little older of a headset. Looks more like a pair of old school walkman headphones than a headset, can't remember the model number off the top of my head.For the most part it doesnt block any noise, so youll have to speak up if you meet me. Sound quality is great and its so light weight I can't even tell i've got anything on. I dont think they make them anymore.

Latest resources

Back