Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blingair

I'm your boy Carl
Looking for advice about which headset to use while flying the 747-200 (Classic). I've heard lots of recommendations for the Telex 750 and 850. I've also heard that the 850's ANR won't work in the Classic. Any advice about which headset is preferred and where a good place to buy one is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bling.

My 850 worked great in the MD-11 and works well in the DC-10 as well. Ebay is good idea for a good deal.

Some of the older classics, mostly -100's would not power the 850's, but most of the -200's will work. I would highly reccomend an ANR type of headset. They will save your hearing and reduce the "what did he say ?'s" I went so far as to buy and use a Lightspeed Zulu. Several guys have the Bose, several guys use the UFLY Mike, a few have a sennheiser. The common thread here, get a ANR!

Some of the older classics, mostly -100's would not power the 850's, but most of the -200's will work. I would highly reccomend an ANR type of headset. They will save your hearing and reduce the "what did he say ?'s" I went so far as to buy and use a Lightspeed Zulu. Several guys have the Bose, several guys use the UFLY Mike, a few have a sennheiser. The common thread here, get a ANR!

Thanks to all for the advice. I was looking at the 850 but have heard that it won't power the ANR with the older 747's. But if its only the -100 I think I will give it a go. I do have a Bose X and love it but I didn't think it would work in the jet environment very easily with the whole one cup on and one cup off configuration.

Again,
Thanks.

From what I've heard and witnessed it's only certain 200s that will power an 850. I think it has to do with CVR setup.

I tried an 850 in Evergreen's 100s and 200s when I worked there. The noise reduction would only get power when the mike was keyed. I ended up returning it.

Classic = Batteries.

I use a Bose X, the latest model uses two AA cell batteries. Depending how "hard" the ANR has to work to cancel out the noise the batteries will last a fair amount of time. I used a Sennheiser at one point in time. That also used two AA cell batteries and lasted at least as long as the Bose X if not longer. I found the Sennheiser to actually be superior than the Bose. I had to give the Sennheiser up for fit issues, my situation with it is pretty unusual and not usually an issue for most people.

Using the Bose X is ok in the jet environment. I do have to do the off the ear thing on occasion and depending upon how much talking is done. I can hear conversation with both ear cups on, though depending on the pitch of other people's voices or how loudly they speak it can be an issue. The Sennheiser has a pivot on one cup so that you can rotate off ear. They also have a new version that supposedly allows you to communicate in the cockpit without re-positioning the ear cup.

The thing about the Classic is that there are a lot of variations on the headset plug-in. I carried a number of adaptors to facilitate jacking into most of the aircraft.

Just do a search on ANR or headsets here on flightinfo, airlinepilotforums, and the pprune boards and you will find more information than you will need.

Last edited:
I use a LightSpeed ZULU on the corporate jet I fly and I find it very uncomfortable. At the end of any flight more than 2 hours, I have to take it off because it applies way too much pressure on my head.

Latest resources

Back