headset for SUPT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hermair52

It appearstobe many peopleon the board with time at or getting ready for UPT. I am looking forward to OTS in August and then hopefully SUPT in January. I was wondering if it would be advantageous for me to buy a headset prior to flight training? Any input?

Couldn't have said it better myself, Beach. Except you were nicer. Now, I don't normally do this this way, but this guy needs help, so here goes:

Hermair, not trying to be an a$$ here or anything, but are you sure you know what you're getting into? I suggest you hit the books on where you are going. I can understand some ignorance, I mean people aren't born with all this knowledge. But man, you need to educate yourself on what you are signing up for before you go.

Deep breath.....OK

I only say that because I feel that anyone who is motivated enough to seriously consider, let alone get through, UPT should already know the first most basic rule of thumb about the military: That is that no matter what, if there is ANYTHING you will need to function while in training or on duty, be it a pen, boots, gloves, eyeglasses, sunglasses, kneeboards, E6B's. flightsuits, jackets or a HELMET, they will give it to you. You've heard the old joke about the service - that if Uncle Sam wanted you to have a wife he would have issued you one? It's not far from the truth. Now, it's not entirely true to be sure - they don't issue underwear, T-shirts or socks to officers like they do to enlisted people. Bring those.

It's been a little while for me, but as far as I know, you will not be wearing a headset in any training airplane you may encounter. Flight Screening, if it still exists, may be an exception, but rest assured if you ever need a headset, one will appear for you. Nuff said.

In any case, good luck and best wishes!

They'll issue you a david clark headset if you go T-1's. But you'll still hang on to your helmet if you go KC-135's, and I think the same for C-130 and C-17's. Although you'll rarely wear it.

Side note: A few of us here in pacific-land just got issued the Bose $995.00 ANR headset to test. THOSE THINGS ARE SWEET! Thank-you taxpayers!

Cruise157 said:
They'll issue you a david clark headset if you go T-1's. But you'll still hang on to your helmet if you go KC-135's, and I think the same for C-130 and C-17's. Although you'll rarely wear it.
Yea, you'll need something to mount the PLZT goggles on. (I'm assuming they still have those things....)

And now, for the trivia buffs amongst us, who knows what PLZT stands for?

:)

TonyC said:
And now, for the trivia buffs amongst us, who knows what PLZT stands for?

Total shot in the dark, but I'm sure it's lead lanthanum zirconate titanate. :eek:

Non-SIOP units don't have to worry about PLZT goggles, etc.

Cruise157 said:
But you'll still hang on to your helmet if you go KC-135's, and I think the same for C-130 and C-17's. Although you'll rarely wear it.

You will wear your helmet quite a bit in the herk, since most of the TAC you fly will be at night, always with NVGs once qual'd.

Cruise157 said:
Total shot in the dark, but I'm sure it's lead lanthanum zirconate titanate. :eek:

Non-SIOP units don't have to worry about PLZT goggles, etc.
Shot in the dark, my foot! :)

Hey, I never heard of a "non-SIOP" unit. Back when I was.... oh, never mind. :)

Hey Cruise157,

I just glanced at your profile. How 'bout you goin' over to Charlie's Tacos and pickin' me up a half dozen beef tacos and plentya sauce? Get some for you, too, and I'll pay!

Tomorrow... 4 Seasons Steak House...

and the next day, Sam's by the Sea...

those were the days....

Ghengis Khan...

Last Chance...

Cashew Chicken at the USO...

Skoshi KOOM...

Tiger Patch shop - - for patches, not food :)

Tommy China and China Pete's...

hmmmm... where was I?

Latest resources

Back