Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aeronautic1

Virgil_Tracy
I am now at the point in my flying career where I will have to pony up the funds for sim. No one seems to be offering me, a 2500 hour total time pilot with over 1000 hours SIC in turbojet with excellent fitreps, school. I did not have to go to sim for my last Lear 135 job (approved in-house training) but now everything is insurance qualified, not pilot qualified.

Sure, I can pay for a type ride program with several of the operations around here ($7K) then go to recurrent ($7K), but when I do the math, the numbers come up almost the same as going initial. $11k+ for SIC and $15K+ for PIC.

Now, I know that PIC would be a waste of time because my total time would preclude me from a PIC job. But with seat swapping, that all important PIC logged time is a consideration.

But, what I am up against is the age old, "chicken or the egg," thing. I cannot get a 135 SIC job without sim school yet I will not spend $11+/$15K+ (and that's with "a deal") for sim school if there is not a job at the other side of school. An operator here wants me to go to school but all they are offering is contract work afterwards, no salary.

Then there is this Roger Griggs guy who is forming a consortium of pilots (AeroSolutions?) with the idea of gaining leverage for school pricing. Yet everytime I inquire about pricing, I can never get a straight answer.

I have plenty of SIC time in Hawkers, Lears and Citations and perform all ops evolutions. Please, no PFT flames. I am worth more than that. 47 years old, military vet and NOT being supported by mommy and daddy.

What the heck can I do?
Frustrated in FLL

Last edited:
aeronautic1 said:
What the heck can I do?
Frustrated in FLL
Move away from FLL.

Why is it a majority of scumbag corporate/charter/airline (gulstream intl.) operators congregate in the FLL area?

Because everyone wants to live in FL... And the employers know it....

Heck I don't know just a guess. :confused:

gotta agree with Hull here...South Florida is the breeding ground of scumbag charter PFT operations..job shoppng there must be miserable.

Can you move?

I have seen ads for Hawker pilots...I think even Avrew.com has one advertised in the chicago area right now.

Confining your search to your backyard can be extremely career limiting.

GOOD LUCK

h25b said:
Because everyone wants to live in FL... And the employers know it....

Heck I don't know just a guess. :confused:

whoa. there's a bad guess...

:)

I figured so. Sarcasm on my end too.

:)

hence the smile!

Ah Ha... The smile, that explains it all....

Judicious use of the emotional icons, that is the key...

I agree

Yep, I have been a South Florida resident for 17 years and have seen all of the bottomfeeders here. One guy at PBI rotates what I call 60 day wonders in and out of the right seat in a 400 fan. After the 60 day insurance waiver runs out, you are left on the tarmac and the next CFI steps in @, get this, $500 per week.

I have no problem working elsewhere... I own 100% equity in my condo here so it's just a matter of putting the key in the door. Look, I am all about paying my dues... that's why I have 1000 hours SIC in turbojets. The problem is finding the wheat thru all the chaff.

I do not have a problem paying for sim school (better if it was co-opt) but paying $11-15K for $30,000 per year is irresponsible (let's not get off on regional PFT, this is different)

Does anybody have the number for that truck driving school... what was it, Truckmaster?

willing to paying for sim school?

That is far from the norm outside South Florida.

Just an idea....I wouldn't offer that while job searching, it might count against you!

Best of Luck!

Latest resources

Back