Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
Any Hawaiian, Aloha pilots out there have any thoughts on the merger? Is this going to be as bad as it looks for the pilots at the two carriers? How many jobs are going to be lost? Looking for the inside scoop. I almost went to HAL to get back home and was wondering what would have happened.

MAHALO NUI LOA!

I'm a Hawaiian pilot, and I think in the end, this will be a pretty good deal for everyone involved.

I don't think we could have gotten a better CEO than Brenneman, who brings a lot of actual airline experience to the merger, something that is often lacking with many airline CEO's. He is now saying we'll probably have our full compliment of 767's plus a dozen more 757 to serve smaller markets on the west coast, plus probably expansion to Japan.

Aloha's old 737-200's will go away, as well as their 737 NG's. We'll replace them with new 717's. There will be some cutback on the interisland routes (about 10%), but there is a good possibility furloughs will be kept to a minimum because of the training bubble for the guys transitioning to the 717's, and the new 757's. Brenneman says we should have 7 - 10% growth starting in 2003, so it will be a good place to be. Right now we have 20 on furlough, and Aloha about 25. With a little bit of luck, and good barganing from the union, we should not lose any more, and will have those back soon so we can start hiring again in less than a year.

A LOT of the complaning from the islands is unfounded. Brenneman has already promised to keep interisland fares for locals at about the same they pay now, and frequency of flights won't be a noticable change. One group that will be hurt, are local travel agents that until lately made a killing on selling 'coupons' for interisland travel. The wholesalers (travel agents) bought huge blocks of tickets from the airline, sold them for $60 each way, and pocketed $20 off each ticket, making it a losing proposition for the airlines. The airlines kept selling them though, to keep people in the seats. Brenneman will cut out the agents (causing them to howl in anger), and make it a profitable endevour for the new airline.

Any other questions fire away.

HAL

Cargo?

When Aloha's -200/QC's go away....who's gonna do the inter-island cargo? The 717's aren't configured as QC's, I don't think. Do you think another carrier will step in with pure cargo service at night?

I've heard there's a possibility of Island Air growing and picking up the Aloha freight stuff. Just hope it works out well for all concerned! Pray for Surf!

According to Brenneman, he hates QC (combi) aircraft, because the interiors get trashed with all the changes. He's looking at a few dedicated 757 freighters for the interisland cargo ops, in addition to the other new 757 he wants for flights to small markets on the west coast.

The 717's will stay all passenger for interisland ops, and for the 'local' south pacific stuff Aloha does (Midway, Majuro, Christmas Island etc.)

Island air will stay just as it is, turboprop interisland to the smaller airports, and thin routes.

HAL

I think it's an overkill putting B-757 freighters on interisland cargo only given the fact that Aloha barely fills a 737 with cargo and it's usually one way. Not to mention the cycles it'd accumulate, I think it'd be a waste of aircraft and space to have a 757 flying interisland.

Now if Brenneman plans to use B757 freighters on long-haul routes, that's another story...

I don't think even Brenneman knows what's he gonna do with cargo....

My .02 cents

Freight Dog,
You're probably right about all that. Most of what I heard about the 757 freighters could be classified as 'rumors'. Whenever Brenneman has talked about freight, he mostly hemms and hawws. I don't think he really knows what to do about it.

The Aloha guys are in a bit of a panic now though, because those that bid for the night freight runs love it, and are afraid that it will go away.

HAL

Latest resources

Back