Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaii interline non-rev advice/input/warnings/etc?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TOGA said:
Well, I'm planning on taking the missus to Hawaii sometime in the next six to eight months. I've been for work, but we've never been recreationally. I know it's considered one of the worst non-rev nightmares, so we were thinking the beginning of February. We're starting and ending in NE Ohio, and with my interline agreements, we can choose between NWA, CAL, USAirways and Aloha. Getting to their cities shouldn't be a problem on my company. I can jumpseat, including CASS. Our lodging is already handled, and it's in Honolulu.

So, where should we go? When should we go? What should we do? How should we get there? When shouldn't we go? What shouldn't we do? Where shouldn't we go? I'd love to hear it all. Thanks in advance!

If you're planning to Non-Rev get to SEA or LAX. You should be in your uniform -- just in case there is only one seat open and you are the last two. Believe me -- it has happened. Fly out on a Saturday afternoon or evening flight.

As for what to do in HNL --- catch up on sleep. You'll need that after your non-rev experience. Relax on the beach. Meet up with fellow pilots and whine about the industry. Worry about how you are going to non-rev all the way back...

Send me a PM if you want any specific information on loads etc. nearer to your departure date.

Spend time at Waikiki until you hate it then take off for the North Shore. That time of year the waves should still be a great site. I wouldn't surf unless you are a real expert. Wam Bay is a great place, especially if you have kids and want to boggie board a bit. Take a glider ride, those guys are great and they stay up a long time on the sea breeze in the winter. Lastly drive to the west part of the island. This part is for islanders only but it will give you an idea of what island life can really be like . They don't like outsiders too much so don't hang around much just check in and check out. East side of the island is great, check it all out you will love it. If you have time jump over to Maui and drive all the way around the island on the Hanna road. The south part of the road is interesting but I did it in a two wheel drive, you just have to shift into Low for a few parts of the road and take it a little slow. Check out Big Beach and Little Beach, the best. Drive up the mountain to see the sunrise, if is worth the early get up to see. Big Island is the Big Island it is great with many places to hike and see. Enjoy it, I love Hawaii, I used to get there once every couple of months but those days are gone. Be sure to watch the sunset at Duke's on Waikiki with a nice drink and Mai Mai, nothing like it. Enjoy.

For a first visit to Hawaii you do have to take in Waikiki, Diamond Head, and the Arizona Memorial. Once that is done ( 2 days ) you could explore a little more, but I would suggest going to Maui. Spend the rest of your time on Maui. You can easily spend 5 days on Maui without getting bored. It has a little of everything and would be a safe bet. I would save the Big Island and Kauai for a second and third trip.

TP

I fly LAX-HNL,OGG,LIH,KOA almost every week. LAX-HNL-LAX is your best bet if you want to ride on UAL. We mostly fly 767 to HNL and your best bet is to take the late red eye back to the mainland, we have had seats on that flight for months now, it is never full. Just have a backup plan and enjoy yourself.

LAX based crews ROCK!

Sonny Crockett said:
I fly LAX-HNL,OGG,LIH,KOA almost every week. LAX-HNL-LAX is your best bet if you want to ride on UAL. We mostly fly 767 to HNL and your best bet is to take the late red eye back to the mainland, we have had seats on that flight for months now, it is never full. Just have a backup plan and enjoy yourself.

LAX based crews ROCK!

AMEN! I use UAL out of LAX for my commute to HNL. Though I usually don't commute on redeyes, I go back to the mainland on the early afternoon flights, the UAL crews are consistantly an awesome bunch! Thank you for all the rides and great hospitality!

Anytime Freight Dog!

UAL is the way to go....probably get a First Class seat, enjoy a nice meal and win the "Half Way to Hawaii" game!

I always look around the gate area for any Jumpseat riders. We will bust our butts to get you on, even talking to CSR's etc...whatever it takes!

I recommend you try to meet the crew before they board. We will make damn sure you get on before the door is closed!

You guys are always welcome on my UAL jumpseat.

I have flown to HNL on all the carriers as a paying passenger, I must say that of any of them UAL gave the most interesting and enjoyable service.

Inter-Island flying

What about when you get to OGG?

The wife and I are already going to OGG in October but she wants to go to HNL to see the Arizona Mem. and such for a day. What is the best way to get to HNL from OGG and back?

We are both airline crew members so can we JS with ID or do we need to ID90 or what?

Thanks in advance.....

ultrapilot said:
What about when you get to OGG?

The wife and I are already going to OGG in October but she wants to go to HNL to see the Arizona Mem. and such for a day. What is the best way to get to HNL from OGG and back?

We are both airline crew members so can we JS with ID or do we need to ID90 or what?

Thanks in advance.....

Just jumpseat...all of the local airlines have liberal J/S policies with no limitations. I'm not sure about Aloha, but Hawaiian and Island Air are also part of CASS. Mesa's airline Go! may also be an option for you.

Interisland jumpseating is the easiest you'll ever do as long as you don't try it at the start or end of a long weekend.

Later

Well, I'm resurrecting this thread to say thanks to those who've responded, and to ask what you all think about trying to get to HNL via ATL or ORD . . . we live in Ohio, so we can get to either in one hop.

Latest resources

Back