Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaii interline non-rev advice/input/warnings/etc?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TOGA

Well, I'm planning on taking the missus to Hawaii sometime in the next six to eight months. I've been for work, but we've never been recreationally. I know it's considered one of the worst non-rev nightmares, so we were thinking the beginning of February. We're starting and ending in NE Ohio, and with my interline agreements, we can choose between NWA, CAL, USAirways and Aloha. Getting to their cities shouldn't be a problem on my company. I can jumpseat, including CASS. Our lodging is already handled, and it's in Honolulu.

So, where should we go? When should we go? What should we do? How should we get there? When shouldn't we go? What shouldn't we do? Where shouldn't we go? I'd love to hear it all. Thanks in advance!

Goto Yahoo travel and book positive space and put on the credit card - or better yet - call Costco. You will thank yourself later when your wife isn't all pissed off on how she is going to miss work and the entire airline problem is your fault. This is coming from first hand experience years ago. Good luck!!

Baja.

BTW - Better yet - goto mainland Mexico - it's cheaper and more fun!! Stay away from HNL if you choose HI. Go to JHM, OGG or HPV.

Don't travel around holidays and weekends... We (Aloha) have 4 flights in the morning out of SNA. You're bound to get on one.

It depends what you want...personally I tell people Kauai (LIH) because that is most like what you'd expect about Hawaii tropical rain forrests with nice beaches. My second recommendation is the Big Island, especially like the Hilo side. It is closer to the active volcano and is tropical. The Big Island offers the widest variety of stuff except because it is the geologically youngest of the islands the beaches aren't quite as good as on the older islands. I really would stay away from the Kona side of the Big Island. It is popular but it is crowded and basically in the middle of a lava field and is HOT this time of year. I think you would most appreciate Kona in January if you are from the mid-west...otherwise I'd stick to the Hilo side. Maui is cool but I don't like it as much as the Big Island and Kauai. Oahu is the best for surfing/beaches and nightlife but otherwise I would not make it a high priority to visit.

Have fun

Toga - I agree with Freight Dog, avoid weekends at all costs! One thing that I really recommend is looking at our Sacramento flight. It currently leaves at 10 am and goes direct Maui (Don't count on the being the scheduled departure time in Feb...we seem to change our flight schedule monthly to keep our pax guessing!). That flight is gold for non rev during the off season. You need to check loads obviously, but that is my last ace in the hole when I need to get out there. Plus, you can get to SMF from pretty much anywhere by 10 am.... Good luck!

Or Try ATA fron ONT directly to Hilo. leaves early in the am from ONT.

OR ATA from Phx to Ogg. another nonstop to the islands that most nonrevs don't think of.

Consider sailing

Check out interline sites like Dargal.com, ABSea.com, etc. for cruise deals.
7 days R/T HNL from around $500 per person. 2 weeks R/T west coast ports from around $1000 per person.

vtwo said:
Or Try ATA fron ONT directly to Hilo. leaves early in the am from ONT.

OR ATA from Phx to Ogg. another nonstop to the islands that most nonrevs don't think of.

ATA does not serve ILO from ONT. Only HNL. We do serve ILO, HNL and OGG from OAK. Also serve OGG and HNL from LAX, LAS and PHX. We are CASS and take unlimited JS'rs. You might even get biz class if you JS. Go to our website, ata.com, for details and changes. We are anticipating some growth and increased service to HI over the next year.

October is the best time of year to go to HI. In between tourist high season and snowbird season. Smaller crowds.

Hey, thanks for all the input on getting there & back. I was kinda thinking that getting ourselves to one of the 'second-tier' cities out west on my company, then interlining (is that a word?) from there might be a good plan. How about once we get there? Suggestions on activities and attractions in and around Honolulu? Should we plan on renting a car (or a Jeep?!) for all or part of our stay?

Latest resources

Back