• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you guys read this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA Flyer - good post too. However, we have been reading ALPA code for many years now. The union writes that it raises the house by jacking one corner at a time. US Air was the last corner, then AA, then it comes to my corner.

ALPA's statement was clear. Duane would like to see the jets returned to AMR and flown by AA displaced pilots. That is J4J - in a nutshell.

Duane would give anything to get the AA pilots back in ALPA. But of course, this issue is a lot like crew compliment and isn't that how we got separated in the first place?

I don't see us going to ALPA anytime soon ,but if that is true (do you know where I can find that letter). It sounds like a carrot to dangle infront of APA pilots to lure them into the dysfunctional ALPA. Screwing over my regional brothers regardless of which union they are in is pathetic. I wouldn't sign up for anything.

What we make of this business is the legacy we leave to the next generation. It will be a cold day in He11 before I help destroy this business for them!!

AAflyer

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the "dispute" is in regard to the 14 jets ONLY that AMR is transferring (however, they've dressed it up as a "sale") to an "alter-ego" carrier.

Rather than see these 14 A/C go to an alter-ego carrier. The Eagle MEC would rather see an agreement that would please all parties concerned (Eagle ALPA, APA and AMR).

The Eagle MEC is not interested in any widespread J4J garbage. Won't happen.
It would involve roughly 140 pilot positions.

I agree that Duane is wasting his time if he thinks he can woo the AA pilots over. It does however seem to contradict his handling of the Delta/Comair/ASA situation.

BTW, Carty is warning of deeper mainline cuts in the near future.

AAflyer said:

FOR THE LAST TIME WE NEED UNITY. And Surplus you do not seem to instill that, Every one of your posts insults and belittles mainline pilots, grow up! Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but since it is the same opinion of all the time we get your point. Since I am mainline I am an overpaid dirtbag who wants your seat, your job, your everything. Get real. I flew for the regionals, and charters, and frieght companies. There are many that worked our way up, that have not forgotten our roots.

Thank you for your post and for sharing your perspective. I'm sorry if I come across to you as insulting or belittling mainline pilots. I do not see mainline pilots as being worthy of disparaging personal remarks and I try to avoid that (except when returning those niceities that have mainline pilots as the source. Then you get what you give). What I belittle is not your persons but your views. While you may not agree, I find those views to be self-agrandizing and supercilious, particularly with respect to the issues being discussed.

The fact is some of you are overpaid, but you're not dirtbags. You're just greedy to your own detriment and full of unwarranted arrogance. If that shoe fits, wear it. If it does not, then you are the exception among the "junior" mainline ranks rather than the rule and, I applaud you.

I admire the fact that you "worked your way up" and have not forgotten. You flew for the regionals, and charters and freight companies. So have I. By coincidence, I have also flown for a so-called major, in "heavy iron" and served as an international captain for 20 years before setting foot in my present "regional". I am not a stranger to your world or to mine. None of that entitles me to special treatment or privilege. None of it makes me superior to my regional brothers and none of it makes me ameanable to being talked down to or disparaged by so-called mainline pilots, many of whom are very junior airmen that come across to me as egotistic kids. Spoiled brats atypical of the generation that spawned them. Strangely, I don't have these problems with the senior mainline pilots. Wonder why that is? Perhaps you really don't "get my point" at all.

One thing that my backgound does give me is considerable insight into the internal workings of my union and the attitudes of the people that run it. I know them all and have known most of their predecessors for many years. I'm no stranger to their thinking or their agendas. While I may well need to "grow up" as you put it, I'm not the kid running his mouth that you appear to think I might be. Thanks to the passing of time, I have learned all too well the difference between sinner and saint. Few of the latter reside or work in the DC area nor the offices of the majore MECs.

Your call for unity is a noble and worthy call. I would willingly share that objective and answer the call. Unfortunately I must ask, at what cost? At whose expense? When our "unity" equates to my demise, I question the motivation of him that calls for unity. Do remember that our Republic once had a similar call for "unity", but it took a civil war to achieve it. I pray we can avoid repeating that history, but I fear that the current "agenda" may well preclude it.

Until we come together this is going to get worse, why is that so hard to see, everybody is so busy pointing fingers. We call ourselves professionals. Ya right.....

I agree with your basic premise. I've said that repeatedly, so you're more or less preaching to the choir. Change the word "professionals" to "brothers" and you and I will be on the same page.

"Union" is to me more than just a word or a vehicle to enhance the goals of some at the expense of others. When we practice what we preach, I'll be on board. Until then, the struggle for equity will continue.

Regards,
Surplus1

surplus,

"brothers"!!!!!

You do have alot on the ball, I think with a little effort this can be made to work to ALL our benefits.

You will catch a lot more flies with honey. You have the knowledge, the experience and the voice to articulate your information. If you do it a little nicer you will be HEARD by a great many more..

In Unity,

AAflyer

AAflyer said:
surplus,

"brothers"!!!!!

You do have alot on the ball, I think with a little effort this can be made to work to ALL our benefits.

You will catch a lot more flies with honey. You have the knowledge, the experience and the voice to articulate your information. If you do it a little nicer you will be HEARD by a great many more..

In Unity,

AAflyer

AAflyer,

You are very right about catching more flies with honey. You'll have to forgive me if my frustration shows from time to time. I've been using the "honey" approach with ALPA's big guns for 13 of the 14 years I've been a "regional" airline pilot. The only thing that got sticky were my own fingers. Those flies are wiley buggers. Sometimes it takes a swatter to catch certain flies.

Time is short for me. Retirment from this is knocking on the door. I'd like to see my union restored to its intended purpose before I hang it up for good. Because of this, I tend to be impatient sometimes. I apologize if that comes across as offensive. This problem could be solved with the line pilots. It's the confounded politicians at the National and MEC level that keep things from happening. They're afraid they may lose some power. I'm afraid that WE will lose the union, if we don't straigten this out. We made the mess and we have to solve it. It shouldn't be about "mainline" pilots and "regional" pilots. It should just be about airline pilots. That's what we ALL are.

Trust me when I say that many HEAR me, the problem is that few LISTEN, not just to me but to anyone but themselves. It's not really because I'm abrasive, it's mostly because I won't stay "in my place" and kiss the appropriate posteriors. People in power don't like that and I have grown sick of being "politically correct".

I'll keep trying till the clock runs out. If I don't make it, I hope young people like you will pick up the ball and go on to score. You've convinced me your head's in the right place.

Ironically, if you've read the history of your own union and why it separated from ALPA you may understand the similarities in the current situation. Back when that happened American had about the same number of pilots that my little airline has today.

Fly safe,
Surplus1

Surplus1,

thanks, I am actually reading the Fly the Line II. I understand your frustration. I see why you have taken that approach.

I and many others understand what is REALLY going on, and would have no problem defending it and you. LIke I read in Flying the Line, this is not just our career, we need to leave it a better place for the next generation. Thanks for responding, and Good
Luck.

Take Care,
AAflyer

Latest resources

Back