Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Probably more than a few people were only exposed to one particular make/model of aircraft during their primary flight training. In fact, many probably received a fresh pilot certificate, and yet have only ever flown that one particular model. The question is, how did you feel about flying something completely different after you got your license???

I mean, what if all you've ever flown is a PA-28. Did you think twice about taking off solo for the very first time is a high-wing Cessna??? Or did you grab an instructor just to make sure the aircraft wasn't going to break your balls??? Anyone ever just get in, accelerate, and pull back????

you have to get checked out if you plan to rent from an fbo. youll go with one of their cfi's and demonstrate that you can fly, like a mini checkride

ive done this, not with a brand new pvt certificate,however. I was instructing at the time and a nice gentleman asked me if i could reposition his airplane, a Bonanza. At the same time I was to give a high performance endorsement to his flight instructor. Both of us had zero time in the airplane. Everything was fine until he attempted a power on stall, as the airplane stalled we rolled 120 degrees to teh left, windshield is completely green. i take control and level it out, decide not to attempt it again and go to touch and goes.Im sure had he compensated with proper control inputs this would have been avoided. In short in my opinion a check out in an unfamiliar airplane is always a wise choice.

Kream926 said:
you have to get checked out if you plan to rent from an fbo. youll go with one of their cfi's and demonstrate that you can fly, like a mini checkride

I see. Thanks for the reply.

An airplane is an airplane. :) Just hop in and go! :)

Yes, actually. I flew a 152 without a rental checkout after I had flown ~100 hours in a 172. I know, I'm a pretty big rebel.

-Goose

If you plan on flying a plane you have not been exposed to previously, I would suggest looking at the POH, getting familiar with limitations, performance, emergency procedures, etc... Take some time sitting in the plane before flying, become familiar with cockpit layout and instrument panel.

Latest resources

Back