Hat issue makes it to the Media

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...Times are indeed changing...

Yes, they are. I wear the stupid hat, not because I like it, not because I need it and not because it inflates my ego.

I wear the stupid hat because when I accepted the job I accepted it with the knowledge that the stupid hat was part of the uniform, so in accepting the job I gave my word. I don't wear it because someone told me I have to; I wear it because I told someone I would.

Times are changing. Used to be that it was important for a man to keep his word.

Last edited:
It is hilarious that a bunch of guys who wear short-sleeve shirts and ties with polyester pants argue over who looks more professional.

Don't forget the leather jacket and American flag tie. Lol...

You want to be treated like an airline pilot? Start looking at acting like one.

"Treated" like an airline pilot? What does that mean and exactly what does it entail? A scene out of "Catch me if you can" or whatever that movie was called? Are you expecting women to get wet at the mere site of you or everyone to address you as "sir captain sir?" Get out of the past. Times change. The "treatment" as an airline pilot is long gone. It has been marginalized like everything else in this country, and it ain't coming back. NOTE: I am not saying one should look like a slob.

The hat is part of the fabric of tradition

Tradition? You mean like age 60? Or crew meals? Or mainline aircraft like the DC-9 being used to fly routes that are now flown by rj's and turboprops? Or.....on and on.

Do you really think "acting" like an airline pilot is going to change anything or get back 40% plus paycuts/pensions/contracts of the past etc. etc.? The public wants cheap fares just like they want their walmarts. Anything else is irrelevant to them.

Times change. The hat looks old, outdated, and ridiculous (especially indoors). Did you know that you no longer have to use a typewriter? There are these things called word-processing programs and computers now...

Last edited:
Yes, they are. I wear the stupid hat, not because I like it, not because I need it and not because it inflates my ego.

I wear the stupid hat because when I accepted the job I accepted it with the knowledge that the stupid hat was part of the uniform, so in accepting the job I gave my word. I don't wear it because someone told me I have to; I wear it because I told someone I would.

Times are changing. Used to be that it was important for a man to keep his word.

+1, Bravo

"Treated" like an airline pilot? What does that mean and exactly what does it entail? A scene out of "Catch me if you can" or whatever that movie was called? Are you expecting women to get wet at the mere site of you or everyone to address you as "sir captain sir?" Get out of the past. Times change. The "treatment" as an airline pilot is long gone. It has been marginalized like everything else in this country, and it ain't coming back. NOTE: I am not saying one should look like a slob.

Tradition? You mean like age 60? Or crew meals? Or mainline aircraft like the DC-9 being used to fly routes that are now flown by rj's and turboprops? Or.....on and on.

Do you really think "acting" like an airline pilot is going to change anything or get back 40% plus paycuts/pensions/contracts of the past etc. etc.? The public wants cheap fares just like they want their walmarts. Anything else is irrelevant to them.

Times change. The hat looks old, outdated, and ridiculous (especially indoors). Did you know that you no longer have to use a typewriter? There are these things called word-processing programs and computers now...

Still have crew meals at CAL/UAL, still have 50 seat scope at CAL, and yes, we still wear the hat in the winter. Next?

Still have crew meals at CAL/UAL, still have 50 seat scope at CAL, and yes, we still wear the hat in the winter. Next?

Cal has no 50 seat rj's flying for them? Really?

Hat only in the winter. Well that certainly is upholding the "fabric of tradition."

I still want to know what being "treated" like an airline pilot means and involves these days....

I'll start with a modern example: A certain mainline carrier has sent out "propaganda" packets to it's pilots trying to get them to pimp a credit card to their friends and family.... there's some "treatment" for 'ya.

And as somebody else said earlier, I wear my hat because the company requires it. Not out of some fantasy of a by-gone era that will never see the light of day again. If somebody needs a hat to "be professional," or feel like they are, well, that's their malfunction.

I once did some training with a guy that absolutely hated that they got rid of the hat requirement. Said it "demeaned" the profession; was taking away from it and made it easier for management to chip away at it or some nonsense like that. This same individual would not do much studying on his own because, according to him, it was the company's job to train him and teach him what he needed to know. So much for hats and professionalism...

If only management felt that way about pilot pensions.

Most everyone I fly with wears the hat because of what you say. A deal's a deal. But that doesn't prevent half the guys I fly with wanting to get rid of it, including me.

On your larger point of integrity. It's amazing how the company uses this against us. They know our nature is to follow guidelines and be disciplined. So while they can be as unethical as their MBAs allow, we are ethical. To them integrity is simply one of many tools to leverage against the employee.

Can you be cynical and have integrity at the same time?

Latest resources

Back