• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hangout bars in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can vouch for Spondivits. Real fun bar. We used to go there all the time on layovers. Kind of like a Jimmy Buffett type place.

Kathy

Thanks tuna. I just remembered about some park where they show free movies outside in the summer. I think on Thursdays. I only went once. But it seemed cool. <hint>You can bring a cooler

They do 'Screen on the Green' in the summers in Piedmont park. Classic movies, nice laidback vibe. Take a girl, a blanket, a picnic basket and a bottle of wine.

Yeah, seems the piedmont park area of midtown has moved way away from my scene. I haven't been to Spondivits yet, but been to all the other ones. I like the Highlands around atkins park. The last time I was out in buckhead on a weekend night, I told myself I wouldn't go there again.

Any aviation bars. I've flown into one at PDK, it was alright, but nothing like some of the other ones I;ve been to around. Anyone here been to the pylon bar in the Hilton in Reno?

This is from a few years back, but try Dark Horse Saloon or anywhere in Buckhead.

I'm having a hard time narrowing the choices since you mentioned both Hand in Hand and American Pie. Vastly different experiences.

If you favor Hand in Hand, also try Righteous Room just around the corner on Ponce, Highland Tap at Virginia-Highland, or North Highland Pub, south of Ponce on N. Highland (next door to Wisteria...best all-around restaurant in Atlanta). Later in the evening, you can hit Clermont Lounge. You won't be the only thing "hanging" in there.

Incidentally, make sure you pronounce Ponce de Leon the right way:

pons duh LEE awn.

If you favor American Pie, well then I just can't help you.

The piano bar in Buckhead is called JellyRolls. Cool, laid back place with some very amusing piano acts.

I lived about 2 miles from Buckhead when I first moved to the sh!thole known as Atlanta, but I only went a handfull of times. Great place if you want to hang out with the homies and their bass-blaring Hummers, a 40 in one hand, cell phone in the other, and a Glock between the seats.

Jellyrolls is now closed. As are most of the 'clubs' in buckhead from a few years ago. Buckhead's really not a destination these days as it once was. Va. Highlands has some of the best, easy to get to bars/pubs in town. I would stay out of Dark Horse Tavern, Hand in Hand, or Neighbors unless ytou dig the drunken frat boy scene. It can really get to be a sword fight. Try Limerick Junction Pub for a normal, neighborhood pub. Or Fontaine's, Blind Willies for consistently good music(always a cover), usually blues. Weeknights are best at all of these places, though, the morons come out on the weekends.

A little closer to the airport, 2 exits out I-20 East is East Atlanta, several bars, still just a regular hangout for locals who don't want to dress up and be stupid. My fave is The Earl; Boiled peanuts on the menu, got to dig that.

It's been said and it's absolutely true: No night in ATL is complete without a stop at the Clermont Lounge. Closed on Sundays and not too cool on Mondays, but the rest of the week is something you'll never forget. Blondie still works there on the weekends. Tee hee.

Quite a few great bars in Buckhead. The best night life in ATL in my opinion, you won't be disappointed

Latest resources

Back