Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dewey Oxberger

Any questions?
I used the search function and there was nothing within the last year and a half so I thought I would ask here. I'm planning on going from HNL to KOA in a few days and was wondering if you still just have to show up at the airport with an ID to get the jumpeat on Hawaiian. Also, is there anyway to check the loads so I know if I need to take a different flight? Thanks for any info.

My info is a tad old, but if you're going out of HNL, they have had some CASS issues in the past at various gates, so you might have to get CASS approved at the ticket counter. I'm sure HAL or Dan Roman can give you up to date gouge.

I'm a Northwest guy and did some island hopping on Hawaiian 2 months ago. I went HNL-LIH-HNL and HNL-KOA-HNL and all 4 flights were a cake walk!

It was litterally show up and go. The crews were all outstanding and 2 separate captains insisted on having me on the jumpseat (when there were plenty of open ones in back) just so they could give be the birds eye tour of their island! Certainly the Mahalo spirit and was such a pleasure to jumpseat on.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Since I'll be coming in from the mainland a day earlier I assume I have to go to the ticket counter anyway to get through security. No way to check loads ahead of time?

Thanks for the info. Since I'll be coming in from the mainland a day earlier I assume I have to go to the ticket counter anyway to get through security. No way to check loads ahead of time?

There is a flight nearly every hour to any where they fly interisland, so in the rare event one is full, enjoy the sweet smell in the air and get on the next one.
Have fun.

I'm a Northwest guy and did some island hopping on Hawaiian 2 months ago. I went HNL-LIH-HNL and HNL-KOA-HNL and all 4 flights were a cake walk!

It was litterally show up and go. The crews were all outstanding and 2 separate captains insisted on having me on the jumpseat (when there were plenty of open ones in back) just so they could give be the birds eye tour of their island! Certainly the Mahalo spirit and was such a pleasure to jumpseat on.

Good luck and enjoy!

Glad you had a better experience than I did. I checked in at the ticket counter at HNL just in case there were any CASS issues at the gate. The ticket counter gives a boarding card with SSSS on it so you get the full treatment from TSA when you go through security. The flight from HNL to LIH was fine, but coming back I got the big cold shoulder from the captain. Who know's what her problem was, but the usual chit chat about how long are you here, what islands....blah blah blah was not up her alley. Free ride, so whatever! One bad experience out of a dozen great ones, hope no one has to deal with her. Great people other wise!

Good luck and enjoy!

This was my experience as well. I even got seated in First Class on my flight from HNL back to the mainland. Everyone at Hawaiian was great to me as a jumpseater.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hey man, NICE picture! I've got a bit of a VW problem...

I wish I actually knew more to tell you than the other guys so far - but I'm on the 767 side and rarely travel interisland. And when I do, I go the pass travel route, so I haven't jumpseated in ages. I'm guessing you do have to go through the people at the ticket counter to get the pass so you can go through security. From there, go to the service counters in the interisland terminal and they'll get you setup with a boarding pass.

That said, I know our guys (and gals) usually go out of their way to help out jumpseaters both interisland and transpac. If you (Long-Gonner) had a problem with one of our Captains, I'm sorry. Normally we're all a pretty nice bunch of people, but once in a while someone shows up for work crabby, even here in paradise. :D

HAL

I have to second Hal, I haven't JS'ed inter-island for awhile. You can't go wrong going to the counter and cover your bases for TSA.
For long gone, as far as having a problem with feeing you weren't treated as nice as you wanted:
1)As HAL said, anyone can have a bad day. Keep in mind you might be upset because that Captain wasn't nice enough to you. Perhaps that Captain just got bad news from home, their child might be in the nurses office, or any other many reasons why. She could have been preoccupied with anything to prevent her from normal courtisies. It's a poor criteria to judge an airlines quality of overall jumpseat service.
2) Generally speaking, and I'm not accusing you, but you get what you give. It is possible you weren't as nice as you think or perhaps you said something innocently enough and she misunderstood it. Point is the situation could be any number of things that don't warrent pointing fingers.
3) If you got a free ride, the correct response is to appreciate it. period.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back