Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citabriapilot

V Murdda...
I have read lots of stuff on these forums about how everyone looks down on the pay to play FO's at Gulfstream, but what about the street captains that get hired?

I have a potential "in" over there to walk in as a captain, but wanted to get the opinion of some of the pilots at UPS and see if there is any bad feelings towards the captains who got their time the legitimate way and then worked at Gulfstream. Pro's/Con's?

I could stay with my current company and fly a 1900, but it would be singlepilot, same runs everyday, no 121 experience. Plus Gulfstream is close to home... What are your thoughts?

no problems at all as long as you have your squadron ring and your 3 recs from buddies in said squadron.

treetopflyer said:
no problems at all as long as you have your squadron ring and your 3 recs from buddies in said squadron.

He said UPS, not FexEx.

I don't work at UPS but I would think PIC time is PIC time. Unless you work for a company like Custom Air Transport who flew struck work for UPS a while back, you should be ok.

Are you guarenteed a job at UPS? Dont think once you get your 1000 pic you are in. There are a lot of people who exceed their mins by a lot that are waiting for the chance to were the brown uniform. So the question is do you want to be at GS for a while if you cant move on?

I babysit FO's at the job I have now. We get guys who PFT and buy hours here, although I guess the difference is that they are not going to pay for a job at my company. Second, the FO's I HAVE flown with have all been top notch and were great people. Definately an asset. I disagree with some of the statements they gave me on why they bought their hours rather then worked for them, but that's their business.

My company flies 1900's single pilot anyways, so babysitting an FO is not a concern of mine. But that isn't the point, nor is it the question I originally asked.

I want to be closer to home and have a better QOL and my question is will it hinder my future with other companies if I were to work at Gulfstream period. I'm looking all over the spectrum, be it corporate or 135 as well. Gulfstream was something I came across because a buddy of mine went there as a captain recently and is happy with it. I've never PFT'd, instructed, towed banners, flew aerial survey and now fly 135 cargo. Not looking to start flame either.

Anyone want to say negative things about Gulfstream and how it will affect a street captain's career, so be it, I'm not pro or con anything at this point. But please offer some other advice as well. I'm currently flying in turbine equipment as the PIC and would like to continue doing that in FL, GA or somewhere close, be it in a King Air or a 1900. Any takers?

Last edited:
i've been in ups 6+ yrs and i know some GA pilots here. ups does not give a f..k where u got your 121 pic time, as long as it's ligit that's all it matters. So u want my opinion , like nike say JUST DO IT

kevdog said:
I don't work at UPS but I would think PIC time is PIC time. Unless you work for a company like Custom Air Transport who flew struck work for UPS a while back, you should be ok.

I don't know where you got your information, but custom Air Transport has not flown struck work for UPS. UPS would have to be on strike for the work to be struck. Second of all, if you are refering to the Menlo freight, CAT had a contract with Menlo long before UPS bought them. Cat was there first and UPS contracted with CAT to continue flying the freight. When UPS has the staff and airplanes to fly the freight, they will fly it. Get your facts straight before you acuse people of flying struck freight.

Latest resources

Back