• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

gulfstream international

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yea, just don't let your next Capt (who by the way hates PFT'ers) know you worked at GIA. You didn't pay, but most there did and that makes that place scum, which helps keep it in business.

"yea, just don't let your next Capt (who by the way hates PFT'ers)",

What a load of complete Bullchit.

Maybe a FEW, and that's about it. Given, many disagree with having to pay themselves, but most intelligent people wouldn't hate somebody for making a different decision than their own. And the argument PFT drives down wages, that's another laugh, regional pay has ALWAYS been low, and thousands of CFI's accept it with a smile, along with 135'ers etc/ etc.

Not to metion the thousands who shelled out the cash in the 90's who are either SENIOR capts at the regionals, or FO's (with some even Capts) at the Majors.

Moral of the story: Free training, paid 121 PIC off the bat, go to gulfstream, unless you can get 121 PIC for better pay right away somewhere else, then go there.

"but most intelligent people wouldn't hate somebody for making a different decision than their own"

Although I do agree with most of what you say, PFT'ers run down OUR industry. But most, if not all, that didn't PFT, Hate PFT'ers. Most, if not all who did PFT, don't see anything wrong with it. Which happens to be one of the reasons why the regional pay is the way it is.

My opinion of course.

A few of the GIA PFT's I have met told me that they do not hire FO's after their time is up which I believe is somewhere around 250 hours. Anyone have any more information on this? It would be hard to have PFT captains if they do not hire them.

I'm betting this is just flamebait. GIA only hires off the street when very, very desperate. Back around '99 or so they hired some street captains, but they still had to pay $10k for their training. If they're hiring off the street now, then check out the details very closely. Make sure that they aren't going to end up throwing a PFT contract in front of you on the first day of class after you've already left another job. Be very careful with this place. Just for an example, the CEO used to fire people on the spot for not wearing their hat. I'm sure it's gotten better now that the union is there, but management is still mostly the same.

Godvek, they used to permanently hire the FOs all the time. Before 9/11 there were always 20-30 Captains leaving each month for the majors. They would upgrade FOs as soon as they reached 1500 TT for the ATP mins and permanently hire all the probie FOs to fill the vacant FO slots. After 9/11 that all changed though. The attrition slowed to a trickle and some FOs were furloughed. For a couple of years they were able to get most guys jobs at Pinnacle, but that's over now. I don't have a clue what they're doing now. I don't know anyone down there anymore.

Answer me this

I paid for all of my ratings from PPL thru ATPL at Professional Flight Training (954-938-3043) @ FXE, right down the street from GIA. An excellent flight school with clean, well maintained aircraft and knowledgable flight instructors. With all the time building, exam fees, dual instruction and solo flights, I probably spent somewhere near $15K (no loans/not mommy 'n daddy) for everything over the course of 8 years (to build ATP time). The only thing I did not pay for is my current type rating. Now, because I paid for all of this out of my own pocket, does that not constitute PFT?

I believe that the only way to get all of your pilot ratings without paying is by getting lucky enough the pass the selection board in the military; and that would be a huge crap-shoot, with a miserable outcome once in service and not selected.

So, in my opinion, nearly everyone in the pilot community has PFT'd in one sense of the word on the other. What pilot here can say they did not pay for their private certificate - their commerical or multi?

It is not necessary to go to GIA, CAA, Sierra et al. If you have the times that a company is looking for, then the opportunities are out there. If I were 25 years younger and had gotten the bug then, I would have probably gone to University and gotten an aviation degree at USD, BCC and have something to show for the money spent other than pilot ratings

As far as the rest of the PFT flames, well it is all just so much pontification.

I'm not and advocate but:
I don't care one way or another how an applicant accumulated their time as long as it's viable. 121/135/91, don't matter how you accumulated the time, it's what it is. Deficiencies will show up during the process. "PFT" and "I'll fly for free" has been around longer than most of us. It's nothing to get frantic about, it's not going away.

I see that there are alot of anti-GIA responses. I really don't know, but do they have an unusually high number of violations/incidents/accidents as compared with non-PFT operations?

aeronautic1 said:
I paid for all of my ratings from PPL thru ATPL at Professional Flight Training (954-938-3043) @ FXE, right down the street from GIA. An excellent flight school with clean, well maintained aircraft and knowledgable flight instructors. With all the time building, exam fees, dual instruction and solo flights, I probably spent somewhere near $15K (no loans/not mommy 'n daddy) for everything over the course of 8 years (to build ATP time). The only thing I did not pay for is my current type rating. Now, because I paid for all of this out of my own pocket, does that not constitute PFT?

I believe that the only way to get all of your pilot ratings without paying is by getting lucky enough the pass the selection board in the military; and that would be a huge crap-shoot, with a miserable outcome once in service and not selected.

So, in my opinion, nearly everyone in the pilot community has PFT'd in one sense of the word on the other. What pilot here can say they did not pay for their private certificate - their commerical or multi?

It is not necessary to go to GIA, CAA, Sierra et al. If you have the times that a company is looking for, then the opportunities are out there. If I were 25 years younger and had gotten the bug then, I would have probably gone to University and gotten an aviation degree at USD, BCC and have something to show for the money spent other than pilot ratings

As far as the rest of the PFT flames, well it is all just so much pontification.

Aero,
PFT doesn't have a definition but most use the term in the sense that if a person pays money to be a crew member, this is "PFT". In turn removing an actualy paying job from the economy that a pilot could and should earn money for. In short if so many aspiring pilots didnt throw down a small furtune to ride shotgun, the industry would be somewhat better off. Ofcourse many, if not all, have paid for training, but paying for lessons to gain a private isnt really removing a job from the industry, it actually creates one.

Last edited:
cdog said:
I see that there are alot of anti-GIA responses. I really don't know, but do they have an unusually high number of violations/incidents/accidents as compared with non-PFT operations?

Actually, it's quite the contrary. Gulfstream has one of the best safety records of any airline in the country. They've been flying since roughly 1991 and have never had a large accident, certainly no fatal accidents.

PCL_128 said:
I'm betting this is just flamebait. GIA only hires off the street when very, very desperate. Back around '99 or so they hired some street captains, but they still had to pay $10k for their training. If they're hiring off the street now, then check out the details very closely. Make sure that they aren't going to end up throwing a PFT contract in front of you on the first day of class after you've already left another job. Be very careful with this place. Just for an example, the CEO used to fire people on the spot for not wearing their hat. I'm sure it's gotten better now that the union is there, but management is still mostly the same.

Godvek, they used to permanently hire the FOs all the time. Before 9/11 there were always 20-30 Captains leaving each month for the majors. They would upgrade FOs as soon as they reached 1500 TT for the ATP mins and permanently hire all the probie FOs to fill the vacant FO slots. After 9/11 that all changed though. The attrition slowed to a trickle and some FOs were furloughed. For a couple of years they were able to get most guys jobs at Pinnacle, but that's over now. I don't have a clue what they're doing now. I don't know anyone down there anymore.

You would know since you paid for the job.

Latest resources

Back