• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

gulfstream international

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Joined
Oct 20, 2003
Posts
3,939
Total Time
enough
Chicks will dig your airline pilot uniform, just don't tell them that the paychecks go in reverse direction as compared to most employer-employee relationships.
 

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,959
Total Time
+1500
psysicx said:
What if your hired off the street are you still considered scum?
I would think that just having "Gulfstream International" on your resume would be a huge turn-off to most people. Hired off the street or not...

The guy who distributes child porn is no better or worse then the guy that manufacture's it... :D
 

flyboy10

New member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Posts
2
Total Time
1700
I busted my ass accumulating my flight time flying blood, piss, and papsmears allover FL. Don't accuse me of being scum. they're hiring off the street and paying well from what I understand
 

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,959
Total Time
+1500
flyboy10 said:
I busted my ass accumulating my flight time flying blood, piss, and papsmears allover FL. Don't accuse me of being scum. they're hiring off the street and paying well from what I understand
Settle down there fella... we're not accusing you of being scum. We're accusing Gulfstream International of being scum. The majority consensus here is that you should have nothing to do with this operation.

You got some good total time there, I'm sure theres lots of other oppurtunities out there for you, especially being in the Florida area!
 

Pilot877

Banned
Well-known member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Posts
220
Total Time
~3500
With that flight time and experience, he could get hired with CHQ, bid FLL, and be a captain within two years.
 

Godvek

Well-known member
Joined
May 2, 2005
Posts
133
Total Time
5000+
Flyboy 10,

Is GIA the only place out there hiring right now? Don't get me wrong, the 1900 is a great plane to fly, but I hear that other airlines are hiring like crazy right now. ASA, Eagle, Express Jet, CHQ are all examples and the pay is a little better than GIA. You've got the time and they all should interview you. An important thing to think about in your decision is who will upgrade you within a few years so you can start building that oh so important PIC turbine time. If you don't PFT and GIA hires you, I don't think too many places will look down at you for it, other than a few regional places you probably would not be applying to anyway. Think about QOL and upgrade time, and where you would like to end up after your next job.
 

Everett Howe

Ride the Jet-A-Ski!
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Posts
47
Total Time
some
You shouldn't worry too much about some here bickering about GIA being scum. If you get hired from the street, can upgrade fast and log turbine PIC soon: Go for it. At the end of the day only one thing is going to get you to the next step: Turbine PIC; and nobody really cares where you got it. There's a lot of GIA Captains who moved on to better places; and rightfully so.

Just my $0.02.

PS: PFT sucks, I don't approve of it. Don't get me wrong.
 

dime line

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Posts
1,468
Total Time
nuf
yea, just don't let your next Capt (who by the way hates PFT'ers) know you worked at GIA. You didn't pay, but most there did and that makes that place scum, which helps keep it in business.
 

blade230

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Posts
203
Total Time
>0
"yea, just don't let your next Capt (who by the way hates PFT'ers)",


What a load of complete Bullchit.

Maybe a FEW, and that's about it. Given, many disagree with having to pay themselves, but most intelligent people wouldn't hate somebody for making a different decision than their own. And the argument PFT drives down wages, that's another laugh, regional pay has ALWAYS been low, and thousands of CFI's accept it with a smile, along with 135'ers etc/ etc.

Not to metion the thousands who shelled out the cash in the 90's who are either SENIOR capts at the regionals, or FO's (with some even Capts) at the Majors.


Moral of the story: Free training, paid 121 PIC off the bat, go to gulfstream, unless you can get 121 PIC for better pay right away somewhere else, then go there.
 

dime line

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2003
Posts
1,468
Total Time
nuf
"but most intelligent people wouldn't hate somebody for making a different decision than their own"

Although I do agree with most of what you say, PFT'ers run down OUR industry. But most, if not all, that didn't PFT, Hate PFT'ers. Most, if not all who did PFT, don't see anything wrong with it. Which happens to be one of the reasons why the regional pay is the way it is.

My opinion of course.
 

Godvek

Well-known member
Joined
May 2, 2005
Posts
133
Total Time
5000+
A few of the GIA PFT's I have met told me that they do not hire FO's after their time is up which I believe is somewhere around 250 hours. Anyone have any more information on this? It would be hard to have PFT captains if they do not hire them.
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
I'm betting this is just flamebait. GIA only hires off the street when very, very desperate. Back around '99 or so they hired some street captains, but they still had to pay $10k for their training. If they're hiring off the street now, then check out the details very closely. Make sure that they aren't going to end up throwing a PFT contract in front of you on the first day of class after you've already left another job. Be very careful with this place. Just for an example, the CEO used to fire people on the spot for not wearing their hat. I'm sure it's gotten better now that the union is there, but management is still mostly the same.

Godvek, they used to permanently hire the FOs all the time. Before 9/11 there were always 20-30 Captains leaving each month for the majors. They would upgrade FOs as soon as they reached 1500 TT for the ATP mins and permanently hire all the probie FOs to fill the vacant FO slots. After 9/11 that all changed though. The attrition slowed to a trickle and some FOs were furloughed. For a couple of years they were able to get most guys jobs at Pinnacle, but that's over now. I don't have a clue what they're doing now. I don't know anyone down there anymore.
 

aeronautic1

Virgil_Tracy
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
716
Total Time
3500
Answer me this

I paid for all of my ratings from PPL thru ATPL at Professional Flight Training (954-938-3043) @ FXE, right down the street from GIA. An excellent flight school with clean, well maintained aircraft and knowledgable flight instructors. With all the time building, exam fees, dual instruction and solo flights, I probably spent somewhere near $15K (no loans/not mommy 'n daddy) for everything over the course of 8 years (to build ATP time). The only thing I did not pay for is my current type rating. Now, because I paid for all of this out of my own pocket, does that not constitute PFT?

I believe that the only way to get all of your pilot ratings without paying is by getting lucky enough the pass the selection board in the military; and that would be a huge crap-shoot, with a miserable outcome once in service and not selected.

So, in my opinion, nearly everyone in the pilot community has PFT'd in one sense of the word on the other. What pilot here can say they did not pay for their private certificate - their commerical or multi?

It is not necessary to go to GIA, CAA, Sierra et al. If you have the times that a company is looking for, then the opportunities are out there. If I were 25 years younger and had gotten the bug then, I would have probably gone to University and gotten an aviation degree at USD, BCC and have something to show for the money spent other than pilot ratings

As far as the rest of the PFT flames, well it is all just so much pontification.
 

cdog

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Posts
76
Total Time
30yrs
I'm not and advocate but:
I don't care one way or another how an applicant accumulated their time as long as it's viable. 121/135/91, don't matter how you accumulated the time, it's what it is. Deficiencies will show up during the process. "PFT" and "I'll fly for free" has been around longer than most of us. It's nothing to get frantic about, it's not going away.

I see that there are alot of anti-GIA responses. I really don't know, but do they have an unusually high number of violations/incidents/accidents as compared with non-PFT operations?
 

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
Joined
Aug 14, 2003
Posts
317
Total Time
25yrs
aeronautic1 said:
I paid for all of my ratings from PPL thru ATPL at Professional Flight Training (954-938-3043) @ FXE, right down the street from GIA. An excellent flight school with clean, well maintained aircraft and knowledgable flight instructors. With all the time building, exam fees, dual instruction and solo flights, I probably spent somewhere near $15K (no loans/not mommy 'n daddy) for everything over the course of 8 years (to build ATP time). The only thing I did not pay for is my current type rating. Now, because I paid for all of this out of my own pocket, does that not constitute PFT?

I believe that the only way to get all of your pilot ratings without paying is by getting lucky enough the pass the selection board in the military; and that would be a huge crap-shoot, with a miserable outcome once in service and not selected.

So, in my opinion, nearly everyone in the pilot community has PFT'd in one sense of the word on the other. What pilot here can say they did not pay for their private certificate - their commerical or multi?

It is not necessary to go to GIA, CAA, Sierra et al. If you have the times that a company is looking for, then the opportunities are out there. If I were 25 years younger and had gotten the bug then, I would have probably gone to University and gotten an aviation degree at USD, BCC and have something to show for the money spent other than pilot ratings

As far as the rest of the PFT flames, well it is all just so much pontification.

Aero,
PFT doesn't have a definition but most use the term in the sense that if a person pays money to be a crew member, this is "PFT". In turn removing an actualy paying job from the economy that a pilot could and should earn money for. In short if so many aspiring pilots didnt throw down a small furtune to ride shotgun, the industry would be somewhat better off. Ofcourse many, if not all, have paid for training, but paying for lessons to gain a private isnt really removing a job from the industry, it actually creates one.
 
Last edited:

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
cdog said:
I see that there are alot of anti-GIA responses. I really don't know, but do they have an unusually high number of violations/incidents/accidents as compared with non-PFT operations?

Actually, it's quite the contrary. Gulfstream has one of the best safety records of any airline in the country. They've been flying since roughly 1991 and have never had a large accident, certainly no fatal accidents.
 

ED GRIMLEY

FIRE STARTER
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Posts
37
Total Time
DEEZ
PCL_128 said:
I'm betting this is just flamebait. GIA only hires off the street when very, very desperate. Back around '99 or so they hired some street captains, but they still had to pay $10k for their training. If they're hiring off the street now, then check out the details very closely. Make sure that they aren't going to end up throwing a PFT contract in front of you on the first day of class after you've already left another job. Be very careful with this place. Just for an example, the CEO used to fire people on the spot for not wearing their hat. I'm sure it's gotten better now that the union is there, but management is still mostly the same.

Godvek, they used to permanently hire the FOs all the time. Before 9/11 there were always 20-30 Captains leaving each month for the majors. They would upgrade FOs as soon as they reached 1500 TT for the ATP mins and permanently hire all the probie FOs to fill the vacant FO slots. After 9/11 that all changed though. The attrition slowed to a trickle and some FOs were furloughed. For a couple of years they were able to get most guys jobs at Pinnacle, but that's over now. I don't have a clue what they're doing now. I don't know anyone down there anymore.

You would know since you paid for the job.
 
Top