• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkingmei

I am looking for any information(positive or negative... please back it up)on Gulfstream Academy in Fort Lauderdale. It sounds like a pretty good deal for a low timer.

20sx, i understand that it might be a touchy subject but lets only offer information, not whether or not i am going to catch
a bunch of S#@T. thank you for your concern though.

Gulfstream is a good idea if you want to accomplish the following:

1. Accelerate your career by skipping years of learning from experience which is essential to becoming a good Captain. You will not have an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and accumulate knowledge from having been there and done that.

2. Put passengers at risk by putting a low time (250 hr) pilot in the right seat that may someday be called upon to deal with a serious emergency when the Captain is unable to. In our company we had a Captain die of a heart attack in a Challenger in flight. It is possible and it has happened.

3. Lower the average pay scales that an experienced and qualified pilot commands by giving away your services for free (whore?). If Gulfstream couldnt find people to pay for a job they would be forced to hire experience pilots at an industry average wage

4. Put an ugly black mark on your resume that everyone who reviews it will know you paid for your job instead of working your way up

My advice is use your money to build ratings, get your CFI and either instruct, tow banners or crop dust so you can learn to be an aviator not just an airline whore.

In Addition

I believe they are still running the new hire program while there are pilots out on furlough. I guess it depends on your morals.

It took me ten years (CFI, Corporate, Regional Flying) to make it to the right seat at a major airline and every year of struggle was worth it, even with the furlough.

Be very careful with your choices.

Humble

no answer

This is an area that gets beat to death on this board. Without knowing more about your situation, there is no answer at all.

Gulfstream is a reputable company, has several programs that are what they are, may or may not be right for you. I have no reason to think that there training is not satisfactory.

I talk to their students all the time and no one has complained to me that they did not get what they paid for.

The fact is that there are and will be more and more of these programs. People putting out the money for good training today want to know they will have a place to go or at least a guaranteed interview.

The other fact is that companies want multi engine turbine time. It is hard to get. That is an advantage of these programs. Would it be better if you started flying at 14 with grandpa in his Tripacer. got your licence, were a CFI and teaching, etc. Who knows.

Everyone is an individual. Some get it in 500 hours, some not in a lifetime.

Publisher endorses companies like AEPS, Climbto350, UPAS, Gulfstream. etc who make a profit from exploiting pilots and those who dream of an airline career. Dont fall for it. Youll be doing yourself and a lot of hard working pilots a disservice by paying for a career you should earn on your own and lining the pockets of greedy scum at the same time

So basically what you are saying is that anyone who has ever paid for their training is ruining the entire airline industry and dragging down the pay scales? I know several people that have gone that route (PFT) and now have very successful major airline careers.
It is not the employee (read PFT employee) that has created a pay scale of what could be poverty level in some cases; it is management (as well as supply and demand). And if you want to talk about pay dues and gaining experience, that is one form of it. Low pay, little or no benefits, long hours and perhaps no union representation is part of paying on the way to the majors.

PFT doesn't make one a bad person, or a whore, as you so beautifully put it. It is simply a choice one has to make; whether or not they will do it. So in all reality one can either pay now or later...it is coming out of your packet somewhere.

I am not here to start a pissing contest about what is right and wrong, I am simply asking for fact based information about this company so I
can make an educated decision about my future.

Thank you to everyone so far that has been kind enough to offer up their information.

Management can create low pay scales, however, it's the pilots that choose to work in such absurd conditions. You're going to make a conscious choice to pay for a seat that would normally go to a pilot that would be paid a fair wage. That is how your dragging down pay scales, if people wouldn't work for free then the average pay would have to increase. You'll have to decide if it's best for you to step on everyone else on your way to the top, while hurting the common good.

Moreover, don't believe that you'll be “paying your dues” going to Gulfstream. There will always be fellow pilots that look down on people that PFT, even if they happen to work for a major. There are plenty of places where you can work for low pay, with long hours and no union without shelling out the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back