Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have some hope

Hi all,

I interviewed in the Feb. 21 class with CRJflyer sitting right behind me:) I don't see this being more than a two month at the most bump in the road. NOTHING has changed at Comair except the delivery of the planes, or that's what it looks like. So we all just need to hang on to hope and we WILL be in there like you guys are saying in a couple of months. I'm cheating and taking CRJ's guess for me as July 3rd, sounds as good as any.

If you have put all your eggs in the Comair BASKET, I can't think of a better one to have my eggs in:) The airlines will all be expanding like crazy again in a year or so. Heck Comair already wants to expand like crazy, so I can't think of a better place to be as the economy is starting to turn around.

Hope to see you all in the training dept. before august,
Jet

Hey Jetflyer,

whats happening? How's texas doing. Hope its warmer there than it is up here in Rochster, NY...There is a posting under classes pushed back" by airlinepilot. He says that they are going to push back classes by two weeks until the strike ends.. We'll have to see how it goes. Hopeful we'll both end up in groundschool at the same time.

Are you gonna crashpad it right from the start (after the free hotel week) or do the hotel thing? I'm gonna bring clothes and essentials down right away and try to get a crashpad during the first week. I heard theres some apartment complex with a lot of pilots and flight attendants in it? Anyways, I'm gonna look into it.

c-ya

To CRJflyer,

That's what I mean. It's a really great job no matter how you look at it. Every day I see people that are miserable at their jobs, no matter how much they make. My goal is to fly until I retire, if I ever retire...

Av8ter

By the way, I applied with Commutair, are they still hiring?, Do I need a referral?

Yup, love the job...if thats what they call this line of employment.I prefer "going to the airport to fly around all day!!":)

As far as I know they're running groundschools as we speak...I think one class should be finishing up fairly soon. They're was a post today on this board that said they had their May13th class possibly pushed back?? I have NO IDEA why that would be?? But I know things ARE definitely picking up. Loads last spring and summer blew....loads this spring...sweet dude....

Referals would definitely help as far as I know.. Lots of apps.
But keep sending them in and try calling also. They are really cool in plattsburgh and won't mind an occasional phone call. I'd mail a resume, fax one and also do the online app. I do this with every company and have pretty good success atleast getting interviews...except for Chicago Express...they must not like my name or something??:mad: haha

best of luck

To all the swimmers in the Comair pool:

Don't try to read anything into any minor training delays. Two things are happening that could slow you down a touch. First of all is the Bombardier strike. Personally, unless that thing runs longer than a few weeks I don't think it will have any impact at all. It might cost you two weeks to a month at the worst. The other thing is the retirement of the Brasilia 'fleet'. That is if you can call 6 airplanes a fleet. In any case there are about 70-80 EMB-120 pilots that have to be trainined in the CRJ over the next few months. Expect to see some of them in your newhire class.

We are growing steadily. It seems that at least once a week they are announcing new frequency and service from CVG and new point to point service out of ATL and DFW. There hasn't even been a hint of any negative downturns in any way. Any slowdowns in your class dates have to do with availability of training resources more than anything else.

99.9% of the pilots here are excellent folks and a pleasure to fly with. I've only flown with one guy that I'd prefere not to fly with again and even he was tolerable.

You will absolutely love the CRJ! It's comfortable up front. Excellent avionics (AP sometimes hunts a little on the localizer). Once you get used to the EFIS/EICAS you'll never want to fly steam gauges again. It's kind of a dog in the climb above FL250 when you are heavy, but so is almost everything else in it's class. All the systems work well and don't require any particular attention except for the ECS. Frankly, that thing is a pain in the ass. Overall though it's a spectacular airplane. It's so good that I've heard more than one pilot say that one reason they might stay at Comair instead of moving on is because almost any other airplane will be a step backwards.

The company has always treated me well. I haven't had any problems with scheduling, training, HR, or payroll. All my questions, concerns and requests were handled quickly and professionally. All companies should run this smoothly.

Training in the Brasilia sucked, but that's not a concern anymore. Training in the CRJ was excellent. Same company but a totallly different experience. Why? Beats me, but it was like night and day. Everybody I came into contact with during training all had the same attitude. Their attitude was that everyone WILL succeed. Period. There wasn't any BS games or threats and intimidation. All they wanted to do was help you get through your checkride successfully. It worked. I haven't heard about anyone not making it on the CRJ since I've been here. A handful have quit and walked away, but that was their decision, not the company's.

There was a thread elsewhere on this board about what was the regional of choice. First of all we aren't a regional. We are a jet national. If the accounting numbers weren't buried in DAL's bottom line we would probably break the billion dollar revenue mark next year. There MAY be other small jet operators with an OCCASIONAL better thing than Comair has to offer, but top to bottom Comair is unquestionably the best small jet company to work for. I'm sure I'll hear from the naysayers and just like everyone else I'm a bit defensive and proud of the company I work for. Consider this:

Air Whiskey: Slightly better pay per hour than us (less than a buck in most cases). One more day off a month than us. No company funded retirement. Not hiring and pilots still on furlough. Growth uncertain. Probably the best trip/duty rigs at this level. (Would be my second choice after Comair mainly because of the lack of a retirement package and I like DAL pass priviledges better than theirs)

SkyWest: No union. Mostly t-prop. Slightly less pay. No company funded retirement. More domicile choices. Hiring, but very slowly. Uncertainties at UAL affect them significantly. Good management relationship. (My third choice).

ASA: Contract negotiations in progress. Hiring in limbo. No company funded retirement. Less pay. Ramp support in their two main bases SUCKS (ATL and DFW). (I'd work for them reluctantly at this point, but after their contract things should be a lot better.)

The rest aren't even worth mentioning.

I'm just finishing my first official full year here at Comair. I've been here almost a 1 1/2 years but there was that strike/furlough thing. Anyways, the point is that I love this 'job' and this is an excellent company. Keep treading. It will be well worth it.

To my fellow poolees,

Take heart, Comair hasn't forgotten us. The background checkers at Comair Academy just faxed my unit the background request forms. With any luck the government facilitator will get the Bombardier strike finished up ASAP and we'll all be in class before we know it.

Caveman,

Check out my last Cobra flight:

http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=34209&ck=

22 years and I'm on terminal leave next Monday.

Semper fi...

Caveman:

Regarding Air Wiskey, there is a retirement plan here. Want to clarify that so misinformation does not get spread around.

Not sure how it compares to Comair's, but the Company sets aside 4% of your wages each month, which is invested in a fund. In addition to that, if you set up your own 401K, company will match a max of 3%, which will increase to 4% in less than 2 years. Fully vested in 6 years of service. Not anything terriffic (compared to the majors), but certainly better than no plan at all.

RR

I was in White Plains this morning parked next to none other than Comair. Caught myself staring at the darn plane for about 5 minutes while talking with the ramp guys. I fly the Beech so as the FO I greet the passengers at the bottom of the stairs as they board. (not a bad thing in summer but sure is cold in the winter:cool: )

The Captian was doing his walk around and gave me a quick wave. I felt like asking the Comair FO if he wanted to trade planes for the afternoon. But restrained myself.

Caveman, awesome post.

Latest resources

Back