Guard vs Reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
So I take it your not going to get 8 yrs of AD unless the airlines change? And they don't allow any kind of alcohal anymore?

Depends on the unit for both.

We have several dudes in AD (AGR) positions in the unit and they will stay as long as they want/until they retire. Several are furloughed.

We have a BAR!! We call it a bar, drink in our debriefs and get rat-faced every drill AS A MINIMUM. Actually, most weeknights the dudes who flew and were in that day are drinking in the bar. Fighter squadrons without a bar? I scoff. That ain't right.

Adler -
I hope you guys enjoyed the bottle of Macallan 15 I donated there when I interviewed last year..... Plans were put on hold for BRAC. Any word on hiring part timers?

Cheers

I love folks who like to spout off....
You think the Guard only for use by the Govenor, check your history. They were some of the first to voluneteer in WW2, they can trace linage with combat back to WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, GW1, OEF, OIF.....this use of the Guard ain't nothing new. If you don't want to go to into harms way, don't volunteer and don't bee-atch about it.

As for AFRC or ANG, go with whomever will hire you to fly! At the 2LT level, you can be anything. Get those tests done and network with various units so you can get picked up and sponsored for UPT.

You're going to be employeed for a year or more while you go thru training. Don't worry about being a BUM just yet. Focus on getting hired and earning your wings.

I've been in the Guard for 6 years. Was in the AD AF for 4. I don't see any difference between the two except where our pay comes from and the option to be "part time" in the Guard. Still can get deployed- anywhere, depending on your job. There is no difference between AD/Guard/Reserves- we all do the same jobs. We all do homeland defense and deploy.

fastbird said:
I love folks who like to spout off....
You think the Guard only for use by the Govenor, check your history. They were some of the first to voluneteer in WW2, they can trace linage with combat back to WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, GW1, OEF, OIF.....this use of the Guard ain't nothing new. If you don't want to go to into harms way, don't volunteer and don't bee-atch about it.

Thats what the guard was deigned to do. Plus, lowering your regular troop numbers to take advantage of the cheaper to run guard and reserves is dishonesty at its worst

malterf15 said:
malterf15 said:
I hope you guys enjoyed the bottle of Macallan 15 I donated there when I interviewed last year..... Plans were put on hold for BRAC. Any word on hiring part timers?

Cheers

It was consumed (big surprise) – but not by me. My unsophisticated side tends to lead me toward bourbon.
:beer:
They’re already looking for B-2 volunteers. The Eagle side of things might start to get ugly if they start siphoning off mx guys to train on the “Beet”. Can’t hurt to ask.
The B-2 Guard thing seems to be taking on a life of its own. I don’t know – seems to me “part timer” and 36 hour mission don’t really belong in the same sentence. Nice way to burn up some RUTAs though. :D

dtfl said:
One other point to bring up - a buddy in the reserves was going to move to an AG unit - he spoke with quite a few folks at 22AF, etc about getting MPA tours, etc. They told him the Reserves get first pick at those - then the guard. So, if you are worried about bumming and picking up tours to Germany, CONAR, C Springs Space Com exec type stuff, etc, C Oak, the reserves give you a better shot.
That's from a # AF person. Not me.

Bad information there sport. Everyone who wants in my guard unit is on MPA and I am told not the case for the Dover Reserves. All I know I have been on an MPA for 3 years now.

Latest resources

Back