Guard vs Reserves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

khallen2754

Just wanted to see if any of you guys who fly for the Air Force Reserves or the Air National Guard could shed some light on the fundamental differences in the two branches. Specifically, what are differences between:

1. the equipment you might fly
2. where you may get stationed
3. current and future needs for pilots
4. the assignments you receive
5. the application process
6. major documentation differences in a completed package
7. the time it takes to be selected and enter UPT after sending out your package.

I am interested in serving and have always leaned toward the Air National Guard. However, the more information I can get about the branches from current pilots before deciding one route over the other the better.

Thank you

Last edited:
1)Equipment will vary widely. But will generally be similar. Depends who owns the airplanes. Two types. Unit-equipped (own the airplanes) or Associate Unit or Wing (fly active duty airplanes on same base). This line is blurring and will continue to do so. Some guard units will now own their airplanes and active duty folks will also fly them.

2)Depends on the unit that hires you, where you want to work.

3)Always changing

4) See #2

5)Can't speak for the guard, but there are the same similarities, AFOQT, BAT test, Flying Class 1 Medical

6)Don't know, not much

7)Varies widely, just depends when they get training allotment. It can happen fast if you're lucky and the unit pushes your package through.

Bottom line, speaking as a Reservist. There are few differences. Major ones include that the Guard is controlled by the State. Guard tends to be much harder to get into, as far as I can tell. I believe they have less slots. not sure though. Reserves = more slots, but can be more active duty like if you're on the same base. From the Reservist perspective, the Guard has more fun and gets away with more.

I could go on and on but that's it in a nutshell.

Go to whoever will get you in the cockpit. I would focus on getting your testing and physical done first.

gderek said:
1)Equipment will vary widely. But will generally be similar. Depends who owns the airplanes. Two types. Unit-equipped (own the airplanes) or Associate Unit or Wing (fly active duty airplanes on same base). This line is blurring and will continue to do so. Some guard units will now own their airplanes and active duty folks will also fly them.

2)Depends on the unit that hires you, where you want to work.

3)Always changing

4) See #2

5)Can't speak for the guard, but there are the same similarities, AFOQT, BAT test, Flying Class 1 Medical

6)Don't know, not much

7)Varies widely, just depends when they get training allotment. It can happen fast if you're lucky and the unit pushes your package through.

Bottom line, speaking as a Reservist. There are few differences. Major ones include that the Guard is controlled by the State. Guard tends to be much harder to get into, as far as I can tell. I believe they have less slots. not sure though. Reserves = more slots, but can be more active duty like if you're on the same base. From the Reservist perspective, the Guard has more fun and gets away with more.

I could go on and on but that's it in a nutshell.

Go to whoever will get you in the cockpit. I would focus on getting your testing and physical done first.

all his answers = shack! spot on

I am currently in the Guard and shortly about to head to UPT for the Reserves and both are all degrees of good. As mentioned above the Guard gets away with all the fun haha. Reserves often time depending on the unit are located on active duty bases making it a little more like active duty. Overall though, not too many differences between the 2..it boils down to where you want to fly...where slots are available etc. I had chance to fly Guard as well but turned it down to go Reserves..seems to be more steady flying right now going with the unit I got picked with. A lot of options to look at but basically you need to go visit some units near you or call and talk to the folks to get a feel for it. Finally, study up take your tests and then see where you stand. Good Scores, getting a passing FC1 physical, and setting up a strong package can really open up your options to what units you apply to and can realistically gain an interview.

Start networking..Guard/Reserves has a lot of politics and its to your advantage to work the system.

I'll tell you this from experience. Your #1 priority is getting those physicals done. You've gotta get a MEPS physical, and a FC1 physical. A LOT of people get screwed somewhere in the process of those two.
Getting that FC1 cleared by AETC will take FOREVER!!. That alone, knocked me back a year, because it wasn't cleared within the first 6 months that i got it, so I missed the first board. Reserve Boards only happen twice a year.
I probably can't stress this enough, but get in contact with a recruiter...quick, and have that FC1 scheduled. The brooks physical is another disqualifying factor. That's where you go right before you go to UPT, and they check your eyes, heart, and body measurements one more time. I personally know people that got all the way there and got the boot. So, as you can see, the AFOQT and that BAT test are really the least of your worries. Make sure you can get medically cleared....

Good Luck

I'd recommend the Air National Guard if you dont want to get shot at when you go to work. However, our administration views them at the Air "Inter-national" Guard. Good luck whatever branch you decide on.

What the hell does that mean? You won't get shot at when you go to work. Last time I was in the desert they were still shooting at guys.

Just sayin that the National Guard was designed to be the National Guard and not to be deployed to far off foreign lands. The Guard is supposed to be "The Governor's Army" and be in the states ready to be deployed in floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters.

Many Many people who signed up to be in the Guard were told not to worry about getting deployed Iraqi-kurdi-durka-durkastan, and now they are there fighting for what our government says is the right war. I wish no ill against any of our deployed servicemen, I'm just venting on our curent state of political affairs. sorry if I confused you or pissed you off in the earlier post.

Hey Cindy,
Keep your political opinions to yourself. This guy was looking for flying advice, not your personal view of international current affairs.

What would happen if you did go through the whole process and your about the go to UPT, then don't pass the brooks health evaluation. Would you still have to serve in the military under contact for a cetain amount of time?

PureMuscle said:
What would happen if you did go through the whole process and your about the go to UPT, then don't pass the brooks health evaluation. Would you still have to serve in the military under contact for a cetain amount of time?

If you were in the guard/reserves you would most likely be released with a general discharge.

Latest resources

Back